1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Have A Bever

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by oklahoma boy, Feb 10, 2020.

1. oklahoma boy

oklahoma boy New Member

Hi my name is chase, i am 13 year old boy, i live in oklahoma. I am an active member in my local boy scout troop. i recently attended a campout know as trappers. the campout consisted of over 100 troops from all over the U.S. The main goal of the campout is to trade objects. commonly traded items include animal pelts,skulls, knives,and any thing else boys my age find cool. i traded for a bever pelt, i noticed that the pelt was already dryed, but still had meat on it. i do not know how to flesh the pelt. the leather side of the pelt is like cardboard, and when you shake the hide it sounds like a big sheet of paper.i don't know what to do with the pelt. I don't know how to flesh a dry pelt. i have the materials to flesh the animal, but i dont have a fleshing beam. so i am in the process of making a beam it is 10 inches wide, and 1 inch thick. but i dont know how to make a stand for the beam. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. have a good day, god bless.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Hello Chase! It sounds like your beaver hide was salted and air dried, though I can’t imagine someone doing that without fleshing it good first. Without knowing exactly how the hide was handled any advise is going to be based on certain assumptions and there will be risk involved, that is you could risk ruining the pelt.
    If it were mine, I would re-hydrate the hide by soaking it water with a little salt added to help kill off any bacteria. Soak it for a couple of hours, then take it out and wring out the excess water. Put the hide in a plastic bag and then put it in the refrigerator overnight. It should be damp and supple by the next morning then proceed to flesh the hide completely, then it’s ready to tan.
    As for your fleshing beam there are some good videos on YouTube about making a fleshing beam. Before you start any of the process I just outlined, you need to decide what you want to do with the hide once you have it re-hydrated and fleshed. How are you going to tan the hide? BEFORE YOU START WATCH SOME VIDEOS OR READ SOME OF THE TUTORIALS ON THIS SITE ON HOW TO TAN A HIDE. Once you start, you need to follow all the way through with the tanning process. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. PM me if you like. I’ll try to help. Good luck and welcome to the taxidermy.net!

Micah Howards likes this.