1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First habitat

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by wildwood, Aug 15, 2007.

1. wildwood

wildwood New Member

Well here it is!!Tell me what you think!

2. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

what is that a scrap it looks good to me I like the way you used the horns for the ped

3. Moose5222

Moose5222 Guest

Wildwood,

It is very convincing and I like how the deer interacts with the habitat. I would make 2 suggestions that are subjective in nature and only an opinion:

1) Scrapes are usually found under a low hanging branch. I would add a sapling to the scene and add some of the same leaves on the ground to the sapling to give the piece flow and repetition. This branch will also help "frame" the piece.

2) Habitats should never overwhelm the mount itself, but should accent the piece and draw the viewer in. A little smaller base would allow you to show off your beautiful Deer Mount that is very artistically presented on the deer horn.

Again, very nice piece and only suggestions. Thanks for sharing the pic. 8)

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

you should have used tall grass to disguise the fact that the deer has no legs , would look more realistic

5. I think what wings up said is on the money. Maybe if you did away with the square corners the base wouldnt look so big. A smaller octogon would be a more pleasing look to me. Probably would try to add something with a little color to it to break up all the basic brown. It is a really nice piece...a little tweaking here and there can make it more artistic.

Good work.

6. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

I think its really neat and a great idea. I would say that the size is pretty big and not needed. You have a lot of area of just leaf litter that could be done away with and still people would get what you want them to see with less area. sometimes less is more. Also most people have limited space to display so with in reason the smaller the better as a rule. When I started out I used to make these great big enviorments to put a pheasant on, they looked way cool until one customer finally said looks great but where the heck I'm I gonna put it. Then I realized after all my hard work I still didn't please the customer. another lesson learned. All in all great job

7. weaselthumper

weaselthumper "Was It Good For You?"

Size does matter !! Alittle smaller would probly be better ;)

8. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

I love the setup. I do agree with a small branch above with a few leaves. Very nice work. Mark