1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cost Of Shipping Kills

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

5 Guys upscale? Whew. What part of the world do you live in? :) Those things are terrible. Upscale to me would be something along the lines of Red Robin. There you get endless fries and several sauces for dipping to choose from. I grew up in Iowa and they had a place called Maid Rites. Now thems some good burgers although its been along time since I had one. I think they may still exist n the Mid West. Nothing can compare to the way my grandma made them though back in the late 60's and early 70's. Fried up in a cast iron skillet that probably had 100 years worth of seasoning/placed on one of those yellow egg buns with cheese just dripping out the sides with every bite. Back when health concerns didn't exist. Sure miss the good old days!

socalmountainman likes this.
  2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

80290895_10218878174976893_514746186838573056_n.jpg

FishArt likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but coming from Chicago where we have tons of truly high quality restaurants this comment definitely made me laugh! Calling either 5 Guys OR Red Robin "upscale" is like saying Target is "upscale" compared to Walmart - ha!

4. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Hmm. 5 guys - smashed dried out burger with wrinkled buns
    Red Robin - nice juicy burger in a heart shape bun
    There is no doubt Chicago can beat either of these. I've got to get there some time just to check out the food. Some of these concessions they show during the baseball games. Mmm Mm.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't know why they call is fast food either. My local McDonalds is as slow or slower than a sit down restaurant. They are understaffed because people can get better wages elsewhere. Was coming back from an aquaculture conference on Saturday and a different McDonalds had its doors locked, but there was staff behind he counter. Turns out they were only manning the drive up window as they were understaffed. McDonalds made over 5 billion dollars last year! Good grief man pay your workers a little more and they might stay! Same for Walmart. I'm tired of subsiding your businesses with my tax money!

pir^2h likes this.
  6. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

There’s employees at WALMART? last I checked I did EVERYTHING myself

HondaXR250 and Sotired like this.
  7. FishArt

Don't believe everything you read on the internet Cecil! "Subsidizing private businesses?" I knew it was wrong the moment I read it - lol! Lot's of misinfo going around on this subject but here's an article from a reputable source that explains things.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...low-wages-by-1-2-billion-a-year/#38a288152073

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I only do taxidermy for myself. That's why shipping hurts! If I did for customers I could bury the cost in the cost of the mount, plus the cost of shipping for mounts I did for myself!

On the food thing. I went to Five Guys once. The cost was over twice what McDonalds charged for a meal. Sure, it was a little better but not twice as good to make it worth going there. It has been years since I went to McDonalds for anything other than coffee. Their food has become tasteless. McDonalds, as well as most fast food joints has major problems getting and retaining employees because they don't want to pay but minimum wage or slightly higher.

My wife was working at a BB-Q place for seven years when they suddenly decided to close (mostly due to mis-management in my opinion although they couldn't retain employees there either). She has applied at a lot of fast food joints. They want to own your life. They want you to be available any day, any shift and be on call if another employee calls in or doesn't want to work that day. It is ridiculous what they expect. She only works for something to do and make a few bucks to put in her pocket. She doesn't need to work so I told her to tell them to go scratch. At sixty years old she doesn't need to put up with that crap.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Around here in MD , Micky Ds pays $12 an hour . It’s a franchise but all stores are privately owned and operated.
    And shipping cost are ridiculous

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The real problem is there is no competition. UPS and FedEx have dominated every market. I think it was Cecil (forgive me if I am wrong Cecil) that said SpeeDee wanted to open a hub in Indiana but the state wouldn't allow them to. It seems to me they could have filed a lawsuit against the State of Indiana over this somehow. USPS is good, sometimes, but unreliable and their tracking system is lousy even though they have made some improvements over the years.

11. FishArt

I spoke to a driver at SpeeDee and she said they have no desire to expand. I believe they can be competitive "as is" because of the numbers of folks in the mid-west. A smaller area to cover with still a gazillion customers. That's what really separates them from all the others. By focusing on a smaller area they have more of a niche market which allows them to offer good service at a competitive price. I believe IF they expanded that would be a death sentence for them. So, maybe they considered going into Indiana but I'd say that's speculation because I don't think it fits into their business model. And I'm not sure how a state can stop a legitimate business from expanding into their state nor why they would care? I think that's 100% speculation about Indiana, but I've been wrong before too so who knows??

12. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

one thing I can tell you, usps has never paid an insurance claim ever. never waste your $ insuring anything. I tell my actual out of pocket actual shipping up front. I eat any cost boxing and milage to the post office. still have many potential sales tell me "that is too much for shipping", as if I had tacked on more than my out of pocket cost or am profiting from the shipping cost. absolutely not!

pir^2h likes this.