1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Euro Done Now Turning Yellow

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AlisonW, Feb 13, 2020.

1. AlisonW

AlisonW New Member

Hi all! Went to Taxidermy school but had to learn euros from YouTube...

Mounted one on a beautiful habitat and it was nearly ready...until now!

It was an old skull - it was already rotting when I got it.

I cleaned it and degreased on simmer in oxi, then in a tub of warm water used an air gun to get everything out. Then I whitened it with 40V and basic white.

It's mounted and yellow splotches are showing up everywhere! The other skull I did using the same method has a few tiny yellow marks as well.

What can I do to fix this? Your input is VERY appreciated!!

2. AlisonW

AlisonW New Member

PS - I whitened it twice!

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

It’s grease coming to the surface, soak in water and dawn dish soap at 115 degrees until the water stops getting cloudy and you should be good to go!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Your degreasing soak can be from a week to a month or more.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Definitely grease, do as stated above or soak in Colman fuel for a few days to degrease

6. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

i'd use ammonia or dawn personally

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This is old but your simmer just cooked the grease in deeper into the bone. It is going to take a long time to get it out now. Soak in water that you have added a half cup or so of Dawn dish detergent. Also add in maybe 3 to 4 cups of hardware store ammonia. You need to keep this heated to 120 degrees 24/7. Check once a week and replace the solution if it gets saturated. You can also try Coleman gas for a while (not heated). The grease has been driven deep into the bone and will take a long time to get most of it out now. You may not ever get it all out. Your temperature also has to be 120 degrees, not 115. YouTube videos are aplenty and most of them offer real bad advise from backyard hacks. Yes, you can simmer skulls clean but the end result will not be the same as a skull that took a longer time to finish. You can satisfy the "I want it now" customers but, 4 or 5 years down the road or less, those skulls will show grease and not be so nice any more.