1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Bear Mountings for disabled and critically ill youth hunters

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by USSA, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Hey you, I miss hearing from you, youre such a busy lady! Hopefully we can catch up soon...

2. USSA

USSA New Member

There are something’s that can happen to you in life that can leave you speechless. The overwhelming response of the nation’s taxidermist in their commitment to mounting bears for these special kids is one of those moments for me that words are insufficient for the enormity of the gift!! A bear is one of our greatest trophies and the ability for these disabled youth to look upon their trophy and recall their cherished moments in the outdoors will certainly make their hardships more bearable.

Upon behalf of USSA I would like to thank the association and individuals who really stepped up to the plate in providing this valuable community service that helps promote out national hunting and fishing heritage. We now have our 26 taxidermists for our 26 disabled youth hunters; we will keep you posted on the outcome of their hunts. God bless you all!

Brigid O’Donoghue ;)

Note: We will also be doing two "learn-to-hunt" WI bears hunts and update you on them as well.

3. tealhunter

tealhunter New Member

Brigid, I would be more than happy to help out and do a shoulder mount for one of the kids. Its a great cause, hats off to you. :)

I also sent you a PM.

4. USSA

USSA New Member

Eight bear have been harvested so far in our 28 disabled/critically-ill youth WI hunt. You can go to this forum to see a few pictures and view a live news clipping of "Hunter" where he talks about his bear hunt: http://www.deer-forums.com/discus/messages/2109/19991.html?1189548611

Thank you again for all your support. God bless you all.

Brigid O'Donoghue
    USSA
    www.childswish.com

5. oneshot

oneshot Member

Sent you an email.
    Oneshot

6. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

the girl that i have - her dad called me last night to tell me she got a bear that is close to 300 lbs !! and that they will be driving down to go home and will drop it off by me sometime today !! and they took LOTS of pictures :D

7. USSA

USSA New Member

Just a quick update; we have 15 bear harvested so far.
    I heard a bear story I have to share with all of you. One of our disable and challenged youth bear hunters shot at a bear and missed, so the bear took off running. Next thing you know the bear comes back again and the young man shoots at him again and misses. Then low and behold back comes the bear a third time and the young man got him. When I ask the young man how his hunt went he said, "Nothing to it!" I have always said these kids are awesome! God bless you all!
    Brigid O'Donoghue
    ;D

8. Brigid,

Have been in contact with the mother of the young boy whose bear rug I will be doing after he fills his tag this October in Wisconsin. Being that his hunt is in Wisconsin and that is where my tannery is we were hoping to find a taxidermist in the area ,of his hunt, to do the skinning and salting and send it to my tannery. She has asked a taxidermist and he wants to charge her!?! I have tried for days to get in touch with her outfitter and the line is always busy so I am not even sure where her son's hunt is. Could you please help me get some info so we can get this in order before they leave for his hunt and hopefully someone in Wisconsin would donate their services of skinning and salting this bear.

Thank you and kindest regards,
    Mary

9. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

Mary
    Check with your tannery, I live in Wisconsin and have my tanning done in state and my tannery does fleshing and salting and the outfitter should be able to skin it (if you can get a hold of him).

I donated a mount to a young man, he got a bear on the first night he sat, I'm doing a life size on the bear he shot. the boy thinks hes only getting a rug but his dad and i went with a life size i think he will be very supprised, i will Post pictures when it is done.

10. USSA

USSA New Member

Mary,

Check your email, I have a friend here in WI who will help you with the tannery!

Brigid O'Donoghue

11. Brigid,

I did get in touch with Mike,thank you for his info, he will be helping out with the skinning and salting. I was in need of someone to skin and salt the bear and ship it to my tannery, as I live in Arizona and our temps are still in the high 90's and I didn't want to chance loosing the bear with all the back and forth shipping before it was tanned. My tannery is in Wisconsin and it seemed silly to send it here, just to send it back there again.

Kindest Regards,
    Mary

AFTHUNT...thanks for your advice,cant wait to see your pics, your little guy will be so surprised to see that lifesize!

12. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    Well my family called yesterday to let me know that there son had just shot a whopper of a bear. This 14 year old young man shot a 207 pound bear. It was great to hear just how many people where involved to help this young man with his hunt. Well I can’t what to get the bear in and get started. I will post pictures of the mount when I’m finished.

13. USSA

USSA New Member

Update on Bear Hunt:

So far we’ve harvested 20 bear out of 22 hunts, and have six bear hunts left. Please keep these families and their guides in your prayers!

Mary, I heard your special boy shot a dandy of a bear last night!!

Brigid O’Donoghue

14. USSA

USSA New Member

Posted September 30, 2007

Bear hunters donate time, tages to disabled

By Jim Lee
    Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

GLIDDEN -- It's being billed as "The World's Largest Bear Hunt" but the title is misleading.

This is really "The World's Largest Bear Hunting Gift."

Twenty-eight youngsters with a variety of disabilities are taking part in bear hunting activities this fall, thanks to the generosity of Wisconsin bear hunters, bear hunting organizations, the Department of Natural Resources, the United Special Sportsman Alliance and Brett Favre Fourward Foundation.

"Bear hunts such as these allow disabled and critically-ill youth the opportunity to experience our state wildlife resources, while allowing families a chance to get away from their daily life struggles and make new lifelong friendships," said Brigid O'Donoghue of Pittsville, president and founder of the volunteer organization dedicated to providing outdoor opportunities to disabled youth.

Keith Warnke, DNR deer and bear expert, said the department supports the project as a way "to expand exposure to our hunting heritage" and "meeting a desire for those who want to hunt."

"I started the project at the end of March by writing a letter to almost 1,000 bear hunters in the hope they would donate their bear licenses to a disabled or critically ill youth hunter," O'Donoghue said.

"We had several caring mothers raise the capital for stamps and attach mailing labels to the envelopes. We had a very special young man with Down syndrome stuff the envelopes.

"The bear hunters contacted me, I located a disabled or critically-ill youth, filed all the paperwork with the DNR and then located a taxidermist."

In the end, 28 youngsters from 11 states were provided with bear kill tags. A limited number of bear harvest tags are issued annually by the DNR. The number of applicants far exceeds the number of available tags.

For O'Donoghue's project, the DNR provided two tags through its learn-to-hunt program, and the rest were donated from Wisconsin bear hunters, most of whom had waited 5-10 years to obtain the tag.

Warnke lauded those "who sacrificed their own hunt so someone else could experience bear hunting."

"The Lake Superior Chapter of Safari Club International paid for all of the out of state bear hunting license fees (over $3,000)," O'Donoghue said. The Favre Foundation - a philanthropic arm of the Green Bay Packers star quarterback - provided funding for a variety of other expenses, including travel for the participants.

"I place each disabled youth with a guide and a taxidermist," O'Donoghue said. "We have a taxidermist donating a free shoulder mount or rug for each successful bear hunter."

It didn't take long for the taxidermists to find work.

Skylar Shelton, 17, of Adell in Sheboygan County, dropped a 176-pound bear at 9:20 a.m. Sept. 5, opening day of the state's bear hunting season, which runs through Oct. 9.

Skylar, a student at Random Lake High School, sustained serious head and body injuries in an auto accident in 2004. With the aid of O'Donoghue's organization, he hunted deer near Birnamwood in 2006 from a wheelchair.

"He's just all about the outdoors ... kind of just like his dad," said Shelby Shelton, his mother.

"It was just an awesome experience," said Skylar's father, Steve, a member of the Coast Guard, who accompanied his son on the hunt. "It was so exciting and so much fun. Skylar had a blast. It wasn't just getting a chance to kill a bear ... it was the relationship he developed with everybody involved ... the joking around ... it was really a good time.

"Everybody who meets Skylar just falls in love with him."

After two weeks of the season, participants had registered 15 bear.

15. USSA

USSA New Member

As of yesterday we have 21 bear harvested!

Brigid O'Donoghue

16. Brigid,

I called Mike yesterday and my little guy got a 350#er. Wow...can't wait to see pictures. Will post them if I can ever figure this post a picture thing out! Can't wait to hear the hunting story also! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do such a humane service for your wonderful organization.

Mary

17. USSA

USSA New Member

FINALE UPDATE on 2007 Wisconsin Bear Hunt: We granted 28 bear hunts and harvested 23 bears; an overall 82% success rate.
    The USSA kids hunted in all four hunting zones and here are the results:
    Zone A1: Six hunts-five bear harvested (83% returns)
    Zone A: Thirteen hunts-twelve bear harvested (92% returns)
    Zone B: Three hunts-three bear harvested (100% returns)
    Zone C: Six hunts-three bear harvested (50% returns)

Thank you to all the bear tag donors, guides, hunters, land owners and taxidermists who made this hunt possible. Each and every one of you played a very important role in making these bear hunts a great success.

In addition a very special thanks to the Lake Superior Chapter of SCI who covered 100% of the out of state licensing fees, and The Brett Farve Fourward Foundation who covered any additional expenses. God bless you all!

Brigid O’Donoghue

P.S. Go to this forum: http://www.deer-forums.com/discus/messages/2109/2109.html?1191964676 and look under “World’s Largest Bear Hunt” to see pictures as we post them.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The little boy I am sponsoring got himself a bear & the hide is already with David Patton @ Lonestar Wool & Fur. I think I'm almost as excited about it as the little boy :) What do you think about once we get our bears mounted for these kid's we start a pictorial post showing them.

Here is Caleb with his Bear :)
    [​IMG]

19. RobinK

RobinK New Member

sent you aemail glad to help if needed be blessed Robin KIRKLAND taxidermy

20. USSA

USSA New Member

Robin, I sent you an email.

Michael, that is an awesome idea of starting a pictorial post.

Brigid O'Donoghue