1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Fleshing Machine

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Kris Rieder, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Kris Rieder

Kris Rieder New Member

Hi everyone, i'm getting around to getting started on doing some snow goose mounts, and I was wondering what everyone is using for a fleshing machine/wheel? I know alot of people make their own, anyone provide any information on what machine you like best? or how to make one yourself? Thanks

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Don't get a new angle feather flesher. It is not fan cooled and over heats very quickly, stopping in the middle of fleshing and takes a while to cool down. I had two desk fans aimed at it to keep it cool enough to get through 1 bird.

4. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Did you contact them? That shouldn’t be happening..

5. Kris Rieder

Kris Rieder New Member

What about a bench grinder from the hardware store? See many people rigging those up and seem to work just fine. Pros/Cons to that?

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Been using one for the last couple years. In fact one of the grinding wheels is still attached to it. LOL. Got it from Harbor Freight

7. Kris Rieder

Kris Rieder New Member

Think i'm leaning towards that route, thank you sir!

8. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I started with a washing machine motor that was adapted with a bushing so I could put a wire wheel on it.... I found a McKenzie bird flesher at the pawn shop, (labeled as a grinder) for $50.... use it for fleshing my small mammals and birds when I do them....

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I asked other people about it and they said they had the same problem. I think, but don't know, that the grinder and other bird fleshers have internal fans to keep the cool.

10. Eivind.utstopping

Eivind.utstopping New Member

When I started doing taxidermy, I used a wire wheel attached to a drill. It Was hard to control but it worked :) Later I bought a bench grinder with a wire wheel attached to it. Works great! Only thing you should do is to make a box around the wheel so you dont get bird fat and flesh thrown on your walls;)

11. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Found this on you tube, haven't made one yet but thinking about it

12. They do work but I wouldn't recommend it. You don't really want one with that much power. If it grabs the skin it will tear it up as it rotates. This is my opinion which may differ from others but you should be able to stop the motor if too much pressure is applied to prevent burning through the skin.

pir^2h likes this.
  13. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

I agree, brother Jar Head. Semper Fi

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  14. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

LOL! Semper Fi Brother Sam and Mario.

Vic

15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You can get the wire wheel from Matuska with or without the arbor attachment. I got one and it works pretty good. My motor is a bit big (1/3 hp) and it will shred a skin in a heartbeat if you don't really watch it. I like Sam's thoughts and have actually thought about getting a smaller motor.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

The guy in the video I posted above said motor should not turn more than 1500 rpm otherwise damage is a real possibility

17. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

If you use a bench grinder, you can always use a fan speed control switch. It will allow you to slow the RPM down and will also minimize the power to where the wheel will stop if enough pressure is applied. I picked one up off of Amazon for around $10.

Bruce M likes this.