1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ez Tan Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by g-21, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. g-21

g-21 New Member

Hi all,

This is my 1st post, though I’ve gotten a lot out of searching back-posts over the past couple years. I’ve tanned a number of deer hides hair on and off using a few different tans. Last year I used ez-100 for the first time and it turned out really well so I used it for another hide this year and it turned out really stiff. One thing I think might have happened is that my scale was on the fritz when I had to weigh the ez-100 so I used the volume conversion instead. The instructions said 1 oz = 4 tablespoonfuls so that’s what I went by. It seemed like I used more than I expected given what I knew to be left in the bag but I went with it anyway. I also had to add acid to get the ph down a bit. Anyway, I got a new scale the other day and weighed 4 tablespoons of ez and it came to 1.7 oz. I did some googling and found a couple sources (amystaxidermy, taxidermyarts) saying 1 oz of ez-100 = 3 tablespoonfuls. Anyone know which I should go by? Could an over-concentrated tanning solution even make a hide turn out stiff? I have another hide in the pickle and I’m hoping to turn this one out better.

(FWIW, the hide that is stiff was in the tan for 16.5 hours and I oiled well 20 min after coming out of the tan.)

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes it’s 3 tablespoons don’t know why you have 4 but I weigh everything for correct measures.
    It may have been changed due to chemicals or a misprint from Reinhearts
    No it won’t make your hide stif . it’s either not shaved thin,degrease if needed broke properly or improper or no oiling makes them stif

3. Frank E. Kotula

I’ll also add over tanning ( which you didn’t do) only hinders elasticity not softness.

4. g-21

g-21 New Member

Thanks for the reply! I double checked the instruction sheet I got with the EZ-100 kit and it definitely says 4 tablespoonfuls = 1 oz. I guess that sheet must be out of date.

If the over-concentration of the tan wasn't the problem, then it was probably the shaving (or lack thereof). All my previous hides were from does and they always turned out nicely despite not shaving. This recent hide was a big old buck. I guess that makes a difference.

Unfortunately a fleshing machine is not in the budget. Is a skiving knife worth trying?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Yes you can skife it . It’s going to be a long long long process but it can be done

6. g-21

g-21 New Member

Maybe I’ll try it out on a hide or two and if I like how it turns out, think about budgeting for a fleshing machine. Thanks again!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Yes if you’re going to dive into it tanning a lot it would be wise to save and invest in a quality wheel.

8. Alwi Shariff

Alwi Shariff New Member

Hello Partners,
    My name is Alwi Shariff,I am from Kenya I deal with hides and skins i have fresh air dry skins origin of Uganda at Good price
    Contact me
    MAIL:[email protected]
    Whatsapp:+8613654217092