1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brown Bear Hide Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Grizz46, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Good evening. Can any experts give me some advise. On whether this could happen at a tannery. Or if I have the wrong bear. This was a late October bear. The hide appears to be a spring bear. Has anyone seen anything like this come back from a tannery. Missing 80% of the long hair. Nose scars and forehead scar. Doesn’t seem to match.

Attached Files:

2. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

i woud say thats not your bear

3. I agree not the same bear.

4. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Taxidermist Agrees. But can’t get the tannery to do much. In the process of trying to get a dna done on the claw. And a tooth from the skull.
    Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not same bear , look for your shot holes and how many kinda thing . I punch code my Bears , not sure your taxidermist does , most tannerys punch code with there own numbers so when they go thru the tanning process they know who it belongs to without having tags on them that could possibly fall off . It makes it tuff that it’s mounted but you could ask about what numbers they should be.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

13 point said it right.
    Shot placement?
    Did you tag or punch code the bear before sending out?
    That’s so important to getting the right bear back!

7. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

The tannery did punch there’s code in the bear. But we only have 3 numbers. 2 were lost in the seam. When I arrived to see it on the form. And realized it didn’t look like my hide. Immediately called the tannery. No cities tag was on the skin when it came back. It was there when it was sent. The tannery has change stories a few times on the number of bears. Flew to sci. To talk with the owner. Now he’s not doing anything. Turning into a mess.
    Could this much damage be done in the tanning process. ????

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No it can’t to that extreme, I’ve had bears look a little thinner after tanning as the color in the hide ( not hair ) changes and gives that appearance , but when it’s colored back in it looks full again , scars on the face present before or after don’t change, again what about the bullet or arrow holes , look in the area of the shot for a sewed up hole . GOOD LUCK

9. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Your kill photos are of a beautiful bear, I think someone liked it better than the one you got, I would be extremely upset . to the point of making a huge stink for someone

10. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

no way that happened in tanning

11. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Looks to me like you killed a nice bear that was beautiful and had amazing fur. And the hide you received back looks like its mangy and very hard on the eyes, and should of been tanned fur off, or pitched in the trash.

12. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Yep. That’s exactly what my wife just said. When I took her to look at it. I thought maybe I was to close to the subject. Talked with the tannery today in person. And was told ( it’s a great big world, and my bear was a tiny little item in it ). Lucky we were in a public place. It might have ended different. The amazing thing to me is the lack of willingness from the taxidermist to the tannery. To get to the bottom of it.
    If this was a usual deal. The client wouldn’t see this bear for a year. Until trophy transport pulled up to the house. Then flip out. Bear was killed in October. And there’s still hides at the tannery. They won’t look at anything but the numbers. But mine not having a number doesn’t seem to play in to the thought process.

Just to many things in the hide don’t match up. I have over 100 photos. To May to post. It’s crazy. To think it’s the same animal. Thanks again for all the advice.

HondaXR250 likes this.
  13. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Thats absolutely horrible you have to go through that! This isnt a squirrel. Its a animal you paid a ton to hunt, have tanned, and have mounted. You really should talk both the tannery and taxidermist some more. I would go to the point of having the sheriff with me. Did the numbers punched into the hide get cut off by the taxidermist? Did the taxidermist see the hide before it went to the tannery?

14. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Who was The tannery? Sounds like they think they can take advantage of people.

15. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

The hide was shipped from Alaska to me. Within 30 min. Myself and the taxidermist looked the hide and tag over. It was boxed and shipped that day. To a large tannery in Michigan. I don’t want to mention there name. But I’m guessing most know them. Between meeting with one of the owners last week at sci. And the Vice President today in Utah. At another hunting show. They can’t offer a ( how did this happen.). Or a ( were is my bear ). Just say it’s my bear. ( but no way could this happen in our tannery ). Can’t be both ways.

Lance.G likes this.
  16. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    If your taxidermist looked it over, he should be just as furious as you, his name is at stake along with the tannery. Are you close enough to the tannery that you can go there?

17. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

I live in Utah. I’m thinking of flying to Michigan this week. My taxidermist has made 1 call. And sent 1 email with pictures. In return he received an email. Stating date of arrival. Date of tan. And date sent back. I’m with you I’ve had him do work for me for awhile. And can’t understand why he hasn’t been more involved.

Not sure what my rights are if I go to Michigan. I’m thinking of involving game and fish. Without a cities tag. I believe it’s federal Lacey act violation. I may be wrong. I’m guessing they won’t show me anything

18. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

has to be taxidermist or tannery , I like the sheriff idea ,or a group of big guys with baseball bats, l really feel sorry for you,

HondaXR250 likes this.
  19. grumpa

grumpa Member

That bear had to have permanent tags that AK F&G put on when it was checked. Also your tag number is on your license and in F&G records. Your taxidermist should have checked numbers when it got back from the tannery and wrote them down before it went to the tannery. Not start worrying and checking after he mounted it. He should have the tags in his possesion. The only way the tannery could have screwed up, is if they sent the wrong bear. Something is haywire if nobody can produce tags. Every bear I've ever sent to ANY tannery , came back with the F&G tags still attached.

John C and George like this.
  20. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

That’s exactly what my problem is. I have pictures of the salted hide with the blue cities tag in the rear leg on the hide. And one on the skull. When I left it with the taxidermist. It was there. Coming back from the tannery. He said it was not there. And the tannery has not produced it. On the the ladder side of this photo. It’s visible. Just seams crazy this can happen. With no explanation. Or no accountability.
    I’m a numbers and facts guy. None of the pieces fit.

Attached Files: