1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brown Bear Hide Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Grizz46, Feb 13, 2020.

1. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Yeah definitely some foul play here. Maybe the tannery ruined your skin, or sold it to someone else. Definitely make sure you gather up all the info you can, and make sure to have someone with you, like fish and game, or sheriff when you talk to the taxidermist, and tannery. I really hope something gets figured out for you. Makes no sense the taxidermist started mounting this shaggy looking bear, without thinking twice about it. Should have known it wasnt yours as soon as it was received.

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I did taxidermy for 50 years and I AGREE with all of the above posts. Don't go to Michigan without your lawyer with you !
    The local sheriff is probably friends with the tannery as a lot of police hunt. That tannery I think operates a taxidermist shop also.
    Someone has your prime bear !
    How I think this will end up is YOUR taxidermist will be guilty of something here. What was the timeline from drop off to going to see the mount ?
    Good luck,let us know how you make out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    HondaXR250 likes this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Are you sure you even received the correct hide from Alaska?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Time frame. Was. Salted hide arrived at my home fed ex. On nov 5. 19. Fed ex. Went 20 min away to the taxidermist. We opened the box together. Unfolded the hide. Checked everything tags, fur, claws, everything looked perfect. They were loading an order to ship that day. Looks like it arrive 13 days later on nov 18. 2019
    A sales order was created on nov 18. 2019. The hide was sent back on December 26. 2019. Received a text from the taxidermist on Jan 13 2019. Saying he was going to stop by. And check out the previous arranged area for the bear to discuss poses. Which did not happen. On Jan 31 2020. Hadn’t heard back. I sent a text. In which his response was. Got it mounted sir. Just hope it fits through the door. Which if he would have stopped as per contract. I have a 50x50 trophy room. With 12’ door. I was 10 minutes away at this response. Upon arrival. To the shop. I was alone for 5 min. Looking at this disaster. His response was. We thought it was a spring bear. Even though I had spent an hour with him describing the hunt and mounting. And how specific I was on the mount. In 2 months. He had forgot about it being shot. 2 weeks prior to being at his shop.

5. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

One of my questions is from November 5 to November 18. What happened. As the tannery told me it was a straight shot to there place. 13 days until the sales order was created. Any thoughts. ?

6. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    To me its starting to seem like the taxidermist switched out your skin, not the tannery. The taxidermist had an awful lot of time between shipping and receiving back from the tannery. And from the time he received it back from the tannery and texting you. Im betting the tannery did their job. More than probably your taxidermist is screwing you over..

7. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Just didn’t see any other bears on the shipping order. Or in his shop. That he could have. Plus. Known the guy for 15 years. Just can’t comprehend that. But I’m running out of anything that makes any sense.

8. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

What about this scenario. Four bear hides laying fur down on a table. At a tannery. Salt side up. Numbers punched in a hide, no one looking at fur. Just the hide side. Something gets moved or turned around. Goes through the tanning process. Blue tag comes of. Just left with the punches in the hide now. Right punches. But wrong hide. Is it possible to happen this way.

I know the tannery has a very good process on opening crates 1 at a time. Great policy.
    I also have very good policies at my company for my employees. But it’s not always 100%. All the time.
    I think it would be hard presses to think everything is always done 100% policy all the time.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look, I'm sorry but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon so easily. I'm assuming the scar is the hole in the head that's exposed. If that's a shot hole, trauma could have caused hair to slip (not that it should be an issue as a good taxidermist would have repaired and stitched it better. As far as spring vs. fall bear, your bear is dead in a mud flat, hair all mussed up. A "late October bear" that size often has a tattered shoulder/leg coat as the bear was chasing salmon through buckbrush and junipers up and down streams. Conversely, I'm not a big fan of that pose. The bear has to be falling over with its weight that far forward. What's with the prehensile lip turned 45 degrees to the jaw? Someone slap him? I'm just not ready to jump in on a call on the hide. As Grumpa said, I've never gotten one without tags that went with them and came back with them. I wired claws on and used a fine wire with aircraft safetywire pliers that couldn't be duplicated and I code punched the hide. I had a few clients who complained that it wasn't their bear but I showed them by every precaution I'd taken, it was their bear.

10. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    From what i understand, the tanneries punch your customer number in the hides. So say you are customer 29, no other hides will have that punch code.

I had a best friend/blood brother of 15 years screw me over, havent talked to him since.

I really cant guarantee either way, but i lean towards its not your bear.

11. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

I’m open to anything. Or opinions. The guid and myself. Had watched the bear. Dry. For a couple hrs. Before he was in a spot we could stalk in on. There was one shot. No exit. With a 300 gr. Bullet. Stood up and tipped over. As far as the mud. It’s still pretty easy to see the hair length and. With the short hair on the mount. It would have looked like it was a frosted cake. With mud. Totally agree on the lip. The scar on the head and nose was not a bullet hole.

12. Richard C

He got your bear mounted up kind of QUICK , all hunters ever do is complain on here about waiting a year or longer for their mounts. Somebody has the dead bear in the photos or your taxidermist got stuck with that spring bear and tried to pawn it off on you. Looks like a poodle that just came out of the dog groomers.
    Time line,
    Nov 5 2019 you get hide from AK
    Jan 31 2020 you get a call that it's mounted, 87 days that includes tanning and shipping to and from the tannery ?????
    They must have had no other customers work to do that came in before you.

John C likes this.
  13. Which tannery was this, pm me please. If its the one with the taxidermist around the country working for them?

14. Talltinelee

Talltinelee Member

Georgia
    Does it seem weird to anyone that the tannery only had this hide for 38 days? Seems odd to me.

HondaXR250 likes this.
  15. Richard C

YES , The tannery must have been all caught up on work that came in before this bear or maybe the Grizz is another Bloomberg and waved his billions around ?

16. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

I wish. Billions. 153.00. To get it back sooner.

17. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Agree with Honda , And totaly dissagree with George, who cares what pose it is , the bear had hair and you can see it isn't rubbed out , I would start to think taxidermist

Micah Howards and HondaXR250 like this.
  18. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Spot on that is almost impossible that time of year.

Talltinelee likes this.
  19. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

D7BC716E-6070-4669-9543-3A72B176DB17.jpeg 734267DE-AD37-4544-98E0-134C79A01169.jpeg

20. Grizz46

Grizz46 New Member

Here is a couple more close up’s

Attached Files: