1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nicotine Stained Owls Fix???

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Eivind.utstopping, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Eivind.utstopping

Eivind.utstopping New Member

I just bought 3 owls today for 50$. The guy who sold them to me has had the mounts for several years in his apartment where he smoked cigarettes. Therefore the feathers are all brown from nicotine and I have tried to remove it. I have wiped the feathers and tried to rinse them with vinegar, windex and acetone. The results I have not been to good :( is there any other methods or cleaning products that can fix or at least help with the "browning" on the feathers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Well first off unless you have the permits and it’s for educational reasons , it’s a federal offense to own buy or mount any bird of prey. If I were you I would delete this post and check into the leagal issues you may have if caught without the proper paperwork.

3. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Judging by the name he may not be in the US

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The OP is in Norway. Laws there are different.

Not sure what you can use that will not damage the mount. I have read that you need to take the mount apart in sections, wash, blow dry and re assemble but I do not have even a clue how you would do that. Perhaps, do you have a local museum that you could ask at to see what they recommend? I would think that wiping the feathers would just drive the staining deeper into the feathers underneath.

magicmick likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If so my bad , just giving a heads up , hate to see anyone get in trouble and had no idea. Goodluck

magicmick and Rausch like this.
  6. Eivind.utstopping

Eivind.utstopping New Member

Its okey, im from Norway so laws here are different;) They are legal for me to own. The wiping helped to get the dust off of them. I was thinking about washing them but as you say it will probably be hard to do without damaging the mounts. I have read that fireplace cleaner might work so i will try that tomorrow:)

magicmick likes this.
  7. Let everyone know if it works please.

Eivind.utstopping likes this.
  8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

oxi clean or peroxide brush on with toothbrush just be sure to rinse it out well and hand "tumble" with borax and blow dry gently with airbrush

magicmick likes this.