1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repo Fish Bondo/resin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JAMES56, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    OK I am new to this, I Want to cast a Trout, Im going to use bondo / resin for jell coat. I am going to use Johnson wax and pva for release agent, I keep hearing about fish cooking in mold. So does that effect the cast or is the detail already set before the fish cooks or can I apply ice water to the 1st side after it sets a bit and long do you wait before flipping mold and do the opposite side Thanks.

2. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    OK so I will reply to my post with another question? I keep seeing remarks on here about using ice water to cool the fish before it kicks well that dosent explain nothing to me? how do you know when it is about kick? and also some say dry and apply a sealer to the fish but they do not say what sealer to use? what brand? taxidermy fish sealer like for skin mounts ? I have some. can I use that I got it from McKenzie supply also have high fiber for bedding. I want to cast a 28 inch steel head, so how many oz of resin/ bondo do I need to mix up to cover the 1 st side of the fish? need some amounts that will work. I want to get it right without too much waste of product, thanks also after clamping the two sides together how long to wait before removing the fish? I know and have read that after removing the fish to clean the mold with soap and water right away or do you wait 24 hrs for the bondo to cure ? any help would be great, I ask questions I want to learn. I see guys putting vasilene on the mold edge after flipping the fish can I use Johnson paste floor wax for that instead with a coat of pva ? thanks

3. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Thanks Kerby, I think it says on the resin can 10 drops per oz , would say 5 drops be enough and say a strip of bondo hardener for each ounce of bondo ? for example if you want some working time how much hardner would you add for say 8 oz of bondo/ resin mix? thanks

4. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Not wanting to sound stupid but when you cast the first side, wait till it is hard enough to remove from the high fiber then dip in ice water ? or wait till the second side is done then dip in ice water?

5. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Don't dip the mold with a fish i it, it could displace the fish! Just flip it, apply release agent of your choice and pour the back side. I wouldn't worry too much about the fish cooking, you want a replica anyway so concentrate on the mold.

Using vaseline on the mold shelf will be okay, but not on the mold surface prior to the first layer of resin or gelcoat. It has a tendency to melt and cause funny shaped holes in the casting. Use the wax and PVA.

You should really give it a try on something small to get an idea of what is happening, even if you have to get a gutted fish from the market. You're only trying out the method, not going for a competition.

Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned, cover your first (thin) pour after it sets witha thicker, reinforce layer to give it strength and rigidity. Then flip.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Ok so I can clean the mold with soap and water, once it is cool, then clamp together leave it set for 24 hrs to fully cure before casting the blank, I hope my Johnson past floor wax is ok to use to buff the mold? I was going to use magic sclup for undercuts is that ok then wax buff a couple times then spray a light coat of pva on just for insurance, and I also read it helps when seperating the mold to dip it in hot water to help separation. thanks for any help.

7. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Thanks I have access to small crappie and rock bass perch right behind my house in the creek, What I was worried about when a fish gets hot in the mold can it distort the detail of the fish say a trout with thin skin or is the detail already set before it gets hot?

8. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    THANKS SO MUCH OTHERS ON HERE HAVE SAID THAT IS WHAT THEY USE THAT IS WHY I ASKED.

joe likes this.
  9. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I really want to get this right, I know I can do it Thanks for the help guys.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  10. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    What is the reason for clamping the mold back together to keep it from deforming?

11. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    ok so lighter on the catalyst, mix both what one would i use the least the one from the bondo or the one from the resin?

Kerby Ross likes this.
  12. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I was going to mix both resin and bondo then add the catalyst, say 5 drops per oz for the resin and just enough of the bondo hardener to get a light pink color, hope it works, lol

13. Below 60 degrees fiberglass takes forever to set up sometimes it wont

Kerby Ross likes this.
  14. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I was going to mix 50/50 is that ok or would you recommend a slightly different mix ?

15. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Kerby one more thing what is the proper way to clean the slime off and dry the fish before casting, Thanks

16. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Check out YouTube videos on "Molding a white crappie in fiberglass resin" by jkporkupine, (Josh Knuth). Also, as Kerby pointed out, carnuba type car wax is the best since it is more heat resistant.

Slime can be cleaned off with either an alum in water mix, or even vinegar. It will cause the slime to turn whitish, and can easily be removed.

17. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Thanks

18. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    The reason I mentioned Johnson floor wax in the yellow can someone had said that works great , I have to check to see it may have the carnuba in it if not what is a good brand car wax to use ?

19. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Awfully nice of Kerby and others to share this info and taking the time to do it! Question regarding the bondo and the resin catalysts. I always thought it was the same stuff just colored creme version for bondo so you can see if it's the right color for the correct ratios?

20. Johnsons paste wax is pure wax, car wax might work but so many of them have cleaners made for auto paint and other chemicals. Some of these chemicals inhibit the the bondo/resin setting.