1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repo Fish Bondo/resin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JAMES56, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Carnuba is the type of wax, not the brand name. Johnsons is carnuba.

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    The type “carnuba” is a perfect wax in my opinion
    Been using Johnson paste wax for over 30 years with good results
    Important note
    Apply
    Dry
    And buff

John C likes this.

3. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Thanks so much

4. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I thought I read that on here and it is not real expensive lol

5. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Thanks too all who have shared info, I think casting fish is neat.

6. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I noticed that Johnson in the yellow can is the original formula, and is carnuba. That is great.

7. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    YOU GUYS ARE REALLY HELPFUL ON HERE, SOMETHING WE NEED MORE OF THANKS.

8. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks for all this helpful information guys! I too want to try my hand at making some crappie and bream replicas and am really just starting to research how it's done.

9. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Looks like the dog likes fishing, you will have to do a reproduction for him lol.

10. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Thats what i've been dong the last two months.. Learning to mold and cast crappies! Fun stuff.. Time consuming.. but fun and interesting..

11. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    Never stop learning, no one and I mean no one knows it all, except God.

tagged out taxidermy and Sotired like this.
  12. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    I think the Dog has a bite lol

13. crablover

crablover Active Member

Alot of inaccurate information posted here. No wonder so many have problems with molding and casting.

John C likes this.
  14. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

You should enlighten us peasants

Gary R likes this.
  15. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

Can you help those of us, that are new to molding and casting?

16. JOhnson's paste wax. contains the following. Three types of waxes. The solvent keeps the wax from getting hard in the can.

Deodorized naphtha is a deodorized form of Stoddard solvent, which is sometimes called white mineral spirits. It is a solubilizer that ensures the even distribution of the ingredients throughout a product to help it work better. No matter how much you shake or blend a formula that combines oil and water, over time the oils will separate from the rest of the liquid - just like salad dressing. A solubilizer like deodorized naphtha helps keep our product formula well mixed.

Carnauba wax is a naturally derived film former that can also be found in cosmetics and skin care products. It creates a protective coating or shine on a surface. Carnauba wax comes from the carnauba palm tree – it forms on the leaves of the palm to protect the leaves from heat and keep their moisture from evaporating. In our products, it adds shine and protection when applied to a surface.

Microcrystalline wax is a film former that can also be found in cosmetics, chewing gum and eye drops. It creates a coating or shine on a surface. This means that the surface has an added level of protection, and also has the shine that helps the surface look its best. It can also be used as a binder that holds a product's ingredients together. We add microcrystalline wax to products so that when other ingredients are compressed, they hold together in a solid shape.

Paraffin is a blend of waxes that is used to form a candle and that provides fuel for the candle as it burns. Paraffin is one of the most plentiful and commonly used waxes today. It can also be found in a wide array of products from lipsticks to eye makeup to baby products. In household products, we use paraffin as a film former to create a protective coating or shine on a surface,

JAMES56 and FishArt like this.
  17. JAMES56

JAMES56 New Member

PA.
    How do you do it,?

18. crablover

crablover Active Member

bravo John C! some accurate info you posted on wax. The only wax that should be used for molding and casting should be the wax types made just for it. Not all the wrong wax types that were posted before John's post. Why would anyone recommend using he wrong product for the job? Partall and OP 500 wax is made just for resin, and there are many reasons why using the proper wax is important. Carnuba is a type of wax, not a brand Carnuba is used in many waxes along with other additives made for specific jobs. Woodwork, Auto and Marine waxes are not formulated for molding and casting. Although some of those will work, they also create many problems that the proper wax won't. The proper wax is part of the process for trouble free molding and casing with resins. Use he right wax and materials for the job. Also, Bondo and Resin does not made gel coat. You also do not need to use both hardner's. MEKP is the catalyst used in both. Pure MEKP is used for resin with colorant, thickener and an accelerator added for Bondo. Either hardner will work for both, but you don't need both when you thin Bondo down with resin. Bondo is nothing more than resin and talc. Bondo also has other body putty. Resin with no talc but micro balloons called Micro Lite, resin with chopped strands of glass, finishing putty, lacquer putty and many more.

19. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Thanks crablover, I wasn't aware if Partall was still available. I used up my last can when I retired. I used Partall paste and PVA for 40 + years!