1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repo Fish Bondo/resin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JAMES56, Feb 16, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Active Member

glad my post helped. I have been molding and casting all types of projects with all kinds of products for 45 years as well. Working with fish has been the brunt of that. The proper wax is one of the most critical parts of working with resins. PVA is not a seporater

2. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

So are you saying I should REALLY be using a Real GEL COAT instead of a BONDO/RESIN mix.. and I should pix up some Partall mold release wax? I wanna learn to do this stuff the RIGHT way and Quality Way... !! so man.. any QAULITY info Is MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED

3. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Matuska supply is carrying it now.

4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

"Abbie" was my fishing buddy. She lost her sight and eventually passed a few years back. She was a Rat Terrier that hated squirrels with a passion! There's a neat story behind that picture I use.
    We were crappie fishing that day on Lake Nimrod here in Arkansas. We were talking with some folks in a party barge just off from us. She was really paying attention to them talking when I carefully slipped her paw over the fishing pole and snapped that picture.
    Some time later, Crappie.com held a fishing related pet photo contest. Abbie and I won 1ST place with our photo and won about 200 bucks worth of crappie fishing equipment!!
    Thanks for commenting about her.

Brad Hendrickson likes this.
  5. crablover

crablover Active Member

Cory, only use the proper wax for any resin work. Just about every other wax has additives that will cause all kind of problems. Wood, auto and marine waxes have a high build up, low melting point along with additives to clean oxidation, remove scratches etc on top of being absorbed by the resin. Molding wax is almost pure carnuba wax with no additives. It is made just for working with resins. Partall #2 is a green paste wax, while OP 500 is a milk thin brush on wax. They have very little build up that keeps high detail in the mold. Always use PVA over the wax as a barrier for wax transfer and a air inhibitor for gel coat and resin that is wax free. Make sure your gel coat and layup resin has no wax additive. Both come with wax or no wax. If you are mixing bondo and resin together, you just need to use the MEKP, you don't need to add the bondo cream hardener. Those that say you need both are flat wrong. Also, bondo and resin mixed in bulk does create heat, however once it is spread thin, very little if any heat will be created. unless it is thick and in bulk. Use the right wax, PVA over that wax and let dry very well and use a high quality hardener (MEKP) like High Point 90 instead of the junk that comes with the resin

antlermike likes this.
  6. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

yea. Not sure what this post is about. All I was stating was Matuska carrys part-all now.

Kerby Ross likes this.