1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dyeing Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tobynitch, Feb 16, 2020.

1. tobynitch

tobynitch Member

I'm interested in experimenting with dyed animal skins/mounts, and I'm wondering if anyone on here knows anything about dyeing. I'm referring to dyeing the entire animal a different color, stuff like this: (not this specific color though)
    [​IMG]
    I'm not really interested in colors like this but I assume the process is similar for dyeing a deer purple and dyeing it black. I'm mostly interested in using black. I've seen some people dye the skins like they would human hair before mounting, and some people brushing it on after mounting. Which one is better/more efficient? Alot of the threads I found on here just discussed how to dye faded mounts natural colors.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Doing either way is fine cause you still have to wash it but I rather dye before I mounted it. Less issues that way.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I dyed a deer head white to make it a piebald, I mounted it first tho , then did several paste and wash outs with basic white, turned out decent