1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Makes A Quality Skin?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by duskychat, Feb 17, 2020.

1. duskychat

duskychat Member

I've probably got extensive knowledge about tanning and all of that. But how about buying skins from others? How can you tell if they are mountable if you don't know the age?

2. Emers48

Emers48 Active Member

When buying a pelt to be mounted, make sure the ears are turned, lips and eyes are split, and that the nose is turned. This will make your life 100x easier and will make the mount look much better in the end. As far as the skin itself goes, I would first look at color. Eventhough its not always accurate, the color of the pelt can be a helpful indicator. Yellowing often means an older or lower quality tan. I try to stick with light, almost white tans. The texture of the skin from the tan can also help in your decision. The skin should look smooth/leathery, if it looks dried, oily, or striated that could lead to problems rehydrating.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you don’t know the age or what’s it’s tanned with ( chemical wise) I wouldn’t buy it as I’ve seen hides fall apart way to many times on folks who buy unknowingly.
    As far as the color of the skin that makes no difference. Reason being it’s the oil that’s being used. I garment tan and use a totally different oil than what’s sold for that tan and my skins are light tan in color and they have no shelf life. So color is a falsify. Im working on a grizzly that’s no where white in skin color at all and it’s 10yrs old and hydrated up fine for a mount cause of it being a high quality synthetic tan.
    As I stated age and tan is what makes the difference.........
    Now if you have bought a skin and not sure as that goes , you need to do a test spot.
    I’ll mix up
    1gallon water
    4 oz salt
    1/4 cup Downey
    Take a small decent area and sponge this mixture on an area. Fold, bag, fridge overnight. Next day check the area and see if you have elasticity and no skin splitting or falling apart. From there that’ll give you a good idea on whether you can hydrate the whole cape or not. Also remember this was only a test spot as it still may have an issue after it’s totally hydrated.

WinterHouse and Micah Howards like this.
  4. Alwi Shariff

Alwi Shariff New Member

Hello Mr Frank E Kotula,
    My name is Alwi Shariff,I am from Kenya I deal with hides and skins i have fresh air dry skins origin of Uganda at Good price
    Contact me
    MAIL:[email protected]
    Whatsapp:+8613654217092