1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Mounting Frequency

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drob, Feb 18, 2020.

  1. drob

    drob Active Member

    Wondering how many deer most people mount per week.I have trouble watching multiple mounts as they dry-so I mount about every six to seven days.I started taking in less deer so I have no problem finishing what I take in-But I know some people take in over one-hundred deer! Just wondering how they manage.
  2. 13 point

    13 point Well-Known Member

    Our deer season goes out at the end of January, I get everything tanned , either in house or sent out and place a big order for supplies, forms and everything needed by end of February. I start mounting 1 animal a day then after I have 8 animals dry , I take a day to finish them , then go back to mounting till the next 8 and so on till I’m done all my mounts . I never go past June 1 . As I will only take in 60 pcs a year .

    To break my routine down a little better for you , when I start my day I first do second , third and forth day adjustment ( I have 4 mounting stands ) then I take the 4th day mount and hang on wall . I put the next form on stand , prep and set eyes and rack . Then I prep cape , thin and soak ears in L thinner , as the ears soak I get the next day cape out of freezer and put in sink . Then I blow dry ears and put ear liners in then I grab lunch , after lunch I mount deer . After that I get the rack for the next deer down and recut that ( if needed) drill holes and as I do all my racks take a propane torch and cook off any leftover meat and such and cook the grease out . And set aside then I get cape in sink and shampoo and condition , rinse and squeeze out , then I put 1 towel inside cape then roll cape up in another for overnight and I start all over the next day .
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020

  3. drob

    drob Active Member

    Thanks for the reply.
    msestak likes this.
  4. joeym

    joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

    I prep 3 capes every Monday, Mount 3 deer on Tuesday, Prep 2 capes on Wednesday, and mount 2 deer on Thursday. Thursday afternoon and Friday are for finish work. This is two weeks out of three. On the third week, I mount other species besides deer. I'm by myself after having an assistant for the past 4 years. I currently have 30 weeks of work ahead of me.
    msestak, Micah Howards and drob like this.
  5. drob

    drob Active Member

    Thankyou,your reply along with 13 point are great motivators for me!
    msestak likes this.
  6. I try to mount 3 on Monday 3 on Tuesday and 1 on Wednesday. Then I'll start on finish work on the 7 from previous week. I save Saturday for painting. When finished I prep skins for the next week and start all over again. I usually take in around 125 shoulder mounts per season and 15-20 lifesize predators as well. So I usually have my hands full until the next season.
    msestak, drob and Micah Howards like this.
  7. drob

    drob Active Member

    Wow!The work ethic and commitment in this industry is amazing.
    msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

    Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

    I always set up 4 heads in a production line. Did mannikin prep one after the other until all four were done. Then set antlers or cape prep etc. Then mount one go to the next and so on.

    The point is I took all four mounts through the process together in an assembly line.
    msestak, Micah Howards and drob like this.
  9. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    Yep that is how I do it. My shop isn't big enough to do more at this time. While those are drying I work on smaller projects.
    msestak, Micah Howards and drob like this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

    Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

    Ya, it's the same with all the work I did. Antler mounts especially. When you have just one of something, that gets worked on while other stuff is in the drying, curing, soaking, tumbling etc. stages. I always had several projects going at once so I could bounce around and make the most of what could be considered down time otherwise.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    msestak, Micah Howards and drob like this.
  11. Trophy Specialist

    Trophy Specialist Active Member

    I only take in what I can finish by the end of March, which is when my charter fishing season usually begins. I do all my tanning before I start any mounting except for the oddball one I take in after the first of the year. This way I order most all of my forms at once (discounts). I mount two per day, every day until my drying wall is full. Then I take an ice fishing vacation. When I return, they are all about dry. I finish 3 per day until they are all done. Then I mount until the wall is full again and repeat the process until I'm all finished up for the year.
  12. I get in from the farm around 6 usually. Before I go in the house I go in my shop and get my fire kit and grab deer out of the freezer, walk past my still uninstalled stainless sink and countertop laying in the grass and take the hide in the house and drop it in the kitchen sink and run water. While it’s thawing i catch a very fast and slippery 3 year old and beg her to eat her supper while her mom tries to get atleast as much food into her 14 mo old brother as he sends to the dog. After playtime and baths and milk sippees I get every one bedded and pull the deer out and go back out to the shop, load the stove full and double towel roll dry skin side then hair side and hit it with shop vac blower a little. Then it’s on the beam with a reds game on the radio usually and a stack of 60xts. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to flesh and 2-3 to turn. So this process gets split into 2 nights. Once body is fleshes I usually lay cap flat in freezer so it will thaw quickly next night. Next night i pull hide and hang it to thaw when I get in and after that typical routine I finish fleshing and check fit to form then throw it in old dryer (-heating element) with sawdust and cob grit after 30-45 min tumbling skinnside out its a about 30 min hair side out. While it tumbles I prep form. After tumble it gets powdered and the ears get bondoed. Flat in freezer again and on day 3 it gets mounted up and I pack it in the house and look at it and fuss over it a lot. I usually try to have 2 mounted and then finish then on same time.
    Micah Howards, msestak and drob like this.
  13. 15pt

    15pt Member

    I really don't have a set routine because of daily changes. Last week I got 25 capes ready to mount and last 2 days I've mounted 7 of them. Plan on doing all 25 then repeating. With some finish work in between.
    Micah Howards, msestak and drob like this.
  14. joeym

    joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

    Farm life...the work is never done! Been there, done that! If milk goes to $20 per gallon, I'll just pay for it and smile!
    Micah Howards and msestak like this.