1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(bought) Skull Discoloration?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Aurowander, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Aurowander

Aurowander New Member

Hey there~
    I recently bought a skull off of Etsy. I absolutely love it, but I've noticed some reddish discoloration on the skull. It seems to be mainly on part of the jawbone.
    Does anyone know what this might be?
    It's not brown. It's definitely reddish. I can attach a picture if it'd help.
    Thank you!
    -Al

2. skullman123

skullman123 New Member

could you attach a picture?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pictures will help but not required. Do you know if the skull is sealed? How was it cleaned? It possibly is iron or mineral stains. A soak in Iron Out will remove them, or most of them. If the skull has been sealed, it might interfere with doing that.

4. Lammergeier

Lammergeier New Member

Utah
    Sea Wolf, considering that, would it be a good idea if you buy an unsealed skull from someone to just let it rest awhile before sealing it? To make sure you've gotten all grease out / no mineral stains are going to show up before you accidentally seal them in?

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you buy a skull from a secondary source, you truly have no idea what has been done to it in the past unless that seller was also the preparer. If you are positive it has not been sealed and you are happy with its appearance you could seal it yourself.