1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by George, Feb 18, 2020.

1. I’m gonna say that any discrepancies I could possibly find should be kept to my self because I recognize that whoever did that work is so much more skilled than myself that my best bet would be to shut my mouth and try and learn something

2. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    This mount is amazing! I think the only part i dislike about it is the hunter has three hyenas and i dont even have one!:(

magicmick likes this.

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

The OP asked what was wrong with this picture. There’s so much great work involved in that piece that it seemed like a trick question at first. IMO It works very well from many perspectives and is artistically balanced with an appealing flow plus full of interest in the story it tells. That alone garnered many interpretations of what this might have been like in a real life setting. Nearly every piece done might have some inconsistencies based on available habitat materials or behavioral implausibilities, etc; and that’s the type of things I heard the other posters focusing in on. Whoever did that piece is indeed masterful and deserves full kudos for pulling it off in such a way.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

right front foot and right rear foot would not both be off the ground at same time

magicmick likes this.
  5. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

100%

6. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Here I thought you were talking about "your" profile picture George....scared me there for a minute...

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim, 99.9% of the public will be in awe and never notice. HOWEVER, as a naturalist and a professional taxidermist, I noted implausibilitities and not impossibilities. The work is non parial while still questionable as far as plausibility.

8. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Only way I could see this to be plausible is if the the hyenas caught this rhino asleep and it was a sneak attack and we are seeing the very first moments of this attack which would not last very long with a rhino against the hyenas.

9. Glenn M

Glenn M Active Member

I haven’t read all the replies ,but did anyone mention the heyenas might be protecting their young. Many animals or birds will go to extraordinary efforts to protect their young ,and scare off much larger threats. So the diorama could happen in nature. It’s an awesome piece!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    magicmick likes this.
  10. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Still wouldn't work that way even if protecting young rhino dont hunt hyenas. The Rhino would stand it ground. I still feel what I wrote above.

11. Glenn M

Glenn M Active Member

No ,of course the rhino wouldn’t be hunting hyenas. It would just be accidentally be too close to their young, and they felt threatened. Hyenas could easily dance around a rhino enough to be annoying and leave I would think

12. Rhinos have no knees they run stiff legged

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What universe are you from were mammals have no knees? Google rhino anatomy.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Google Image search hyenas rhino and you will find dozens and dozens of hyenas chasing rhinos. (all of which have knees by the way)

Lance.G, Glenn M and Rausch like this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Most of the videos I saw there, were rhinos chasing hyenas or hyenas chasing a rhino fifty yards or so then the rhino stands it's ground. I didn't see any full on, full throttle chases, but then, I didn't spend a lot of time searching.

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You're right. There ain't much. None as aggressive as this diorama. Certainly nne running through boulders. I thought there'd be a lot more to see to help make this more believable in my mind. Again, incredible talent and I'm just a fish guy with only Animal Planet experience, so who knows???

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Certainly does prove though, that it does happen, thus, validating the piece in my opinion.

Glenn M likes this.
  18. Maybe be it was just what the client wanted. thanks George best post on this site so far this year.