1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customer's Requesting Emailing Or Texting Photos Of Completed Mounts

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by FishArt, Feb 19, 2020.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm stuck with them in Illinois. Illegal to sell. If I remember correctly you get at least half down too don't you 3Bears?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes

FishArt likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have to relate a sad story here as it's haunted me for 40 years. I did a 6 pound largemouth for this young guy. That's a BIG fish here in Delaware. He'd left a deposit and owed $50 on it. I called and left a message. After waiting a week, I called back and left a message that after 30 days, I'd start charging a rent fee. The next day, a smoking clunker pulled up in my driveway. A YOUNG woman carrying a small baby came in the shop and said she was picking up her husbands fish. She was disheveled and the baby's clothes were obvious hand-me-downs. She said she'd just got paid and didn't want him to risk losing his fish. She handed me 2 $20s and a $10. I really felt bad and I told her that if it was going to cause them hardships, I'd hold the fish and they could pay on it. She looked at the floor and said, "Mr. Roof, we'll be all right. I'm supposed to get my income tax back soon." I handed her the fish and $40 back. I just couldn't take the money. She looked shocked and I told her it was a gift for her baby. I still feel bad to this very day for taking the $10.

magicmick and FishArt like this.
  4. I do the same thing. I want to give them time to prepare financially (2 weeks to dry, most folks get paid biweekly) and I always explain it still likes finish work and those orange sticks won’t be sticking out of nose and mouth when it’s done. By showing it obviously unfinished (cards pins etc) it allows me to give them a teaser but still get that “wow” when they see it for the first time.

FishArt likes this.
  5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I photograph a lot of my work, especially if it’s something I like. Clients also request photos a lot and I usually provide them. The clients are proud of their mounts an want to show them off. It’s not like they can carry the mount with them everywhere they go. If they take a photo it’s going to be a crappy cellphone shot amidst a cluttered background and horrible lighting. If I make the photo it is similar to a magazine shot. Which representation of your work do you want them to show their friends? It has helped build a mystique and expectation of quality around my work that not many others offer.

6. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Three mounts in 35 years I had to take apart and use the mounts/capes for remounts. Pictures just slow up the pickup time. They have a picture now they can show their buddies.. 6 years ago a guy had me pick up his deer head at the butchers for him, (no deposit) for a shoulder mount. I called and called for more than a year and never once talked to him. Rack hung in my place for 5/6 years. Finally I did a clean-up and all racks were traded off. Well wouldn't you know it I talked to his hunting buddy just last week and guess who called. He asked if I still had his rack he gave me for a skull mount. I told him it was gone 5/6 years with no contact was way more than enough. It was for a shoulder mount not a skull mount and a 10 point not a 8 point and no deposit not $100.00, some people.