1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixative And Powders

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brad Hendrickson, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Will fixative sprayed over powders , say 4 different layers make the layers lose their pearlescent/iridescence? Reason I ask is if I put to many layers of gloss on I can’t get any pan pastels or charcoals to adhere
    I I’m wondering if FIXATIVE would have a better bite

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Matte gloss works well

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Use the fixative till your ready to gloss.
    It’s made for these products.

Jon S likes this.
  4. Brad Hendrickson

I’ve used Matt. Kills the powders bad

5. Brad Hendrickson

Tha ks
    thaNks!!!

6. h20halo

h20halo Member

So, do you use fixative after powders only or between each layer of paint as well.

7. Brad Hendrickson

Seems like some use it after every powder application - I guess so you don’t mess up your already laid down work. Also i guess hitting paint layers with a light mist gloss after each layer. I guess it all depends on what order you end up doing whatever in and what effect your looking for. I don’t even know why I’m answering this because I’m still a 4yr old with crayons. No no. I’m 5 now. Birthday was yesterday!

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use a light flash coat of clear laquer to seal in powders, I never spray it heavy enough to shine, I learned that lesson early on painting a bass.

9. crablover

crablover Active Member

Sealing powders can also be done with a flash coat of hair spray. It will be absorbed by the finish coats of lacquer. Matt spray should be used until your final finish coat The Pan Pastels can be mixed with alcohol and can be applied with your airbrush or paint brush This will give you a blemish free application with full color strength. The alcohol will evaporate leaving the dry powder. aling powders can also be done with a flash coat of hair spray. It will be absorbed by the finish coats of lacquer. Matt spray should be used until your final finish coat The Pan Pastels can be mixed with alcohol and can be applied with your airbrush or paint brush This will give you a blemish free application with full color strength. The alcohol will evaporate leaving the dry powder.
    The micro powders can be mixed with lacquer thinner and spayed as well. Any type of powder should be applied over a matte base. Regular spray clears will dull down the color intensity. Chrome colors will change the most turning it into almost grey. A special clear coat is made just for chrome and metallic

10. Brad Hendrickson

So I should be using a MATTE spray finish until i'm ALL DONE and then spray with a CLEAR COAT?

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Interesting post Crab. I have used just about every method to apply powders but never thought of mixing them with something that's going to evaporate! If I'm not mistaken, I think one needs to emphasize laying down a light sealer coat (of matte) and dry BEFORE spraying any powders mixed with alcohol or lacquer otherwise you risk eating some of the underlying paint. Can't stand the smell of hair spray, I'll stick with my Fixitive or Matte - lol!

12. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

What is happening is a simple "toothing" problem. All clears are basically made the same; the main difference is the "leveling" properties in the chemistry aspect of how thats done. Without a lot of jargon that wouldn't make sense, basically your fixatives and mattes don't "level" as smoothly as a high gloss. Imagine in a microscope that high gloss looks like a window pane and fixative/matte look like 150 grit sandpaper. Using this analogy you can see why after several layers of even light gloss going down the powders/sticks/pencils or whatever else you are using tend to not work as well. I would also believe many have experienced trying to do a light airbrushing over a glossed area to "touch up" what they need to just to have the paint "spider" on them. This is happening for the same reason. The best thing, is if the top coats are completely dry (refer to can) then you could spray matte back over the gloss to "tooth" it up so your colors will stick. Once the matte is completly dry, you may go back to using a compatible gloss or any gloss as along as all levels below the gloss are dry and see zero difference in the "shine" of your fish. I hope this helps.

Sotired, FishArt and Kerby Ross like this.
  13. Brad Hendrickson

So the MATTE does NOT DULL anything? Man I Swore it did and I swore I read that too

14. FishArt

I think a better explanation is it doesn't make things glossy! But, if you put it over a gloss coat it will dull it.

Sotired and Brad Hendrickson like this.
  15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Exactly, For example I like a high gloss on my fish, right or wrong don't care, it is what I like. I had a customer ask for a less glossy fish so I glossed it as normal and then hit it with a coat of matte, customer loved it.
    I'll reiterate what I said earlier, I use the black chair laquer gloss when painting but apply it as a dry flash coat to seal powders or colors and then when I want to get a glimpse of what the finished fish will look like I give it a shiny coat. I makes it simpler for me, I don't have to have multiple rattle cans on the bench at a time, which can lead to mistakes.

16. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Agreed. I use hairspray quite alot on powders and pigments to hold them down pre-gloss.

Do test out different brands though, as the spray nozzles vary widely. I want the finest spray pattern I can find, otherwise it will cause bits of the pigment to pool up.

17. FishArt

3Bears fyi, I switched from the Black Chair Lacquer stuff for a final gloss to Crystal Clear Enamel. I found out that a lacquer gloss is too hard and you'll get tiny spider cracks thru time. Just an FYI...

3bears likes this.
  18. crablover

crablover Active Member

Great posts Cory and CC! Avoiding paint build up is important to maintain detail on the blank. Clears are much thicker and build up quickly. There really is no need to use any clear until the final finish coat. Powders done with hand application need a base with tooth as Cory said. Most paints used in taxidermy have enough tooth for powders without any type of clear. If you need to lock down the powders, a clear coat can be used with no problem other than the build up. I use hair spray like CC because it locks down the powders and is so thin there is no build up, is absorbed into the next layer of material and can be removed if needed with water. If you need to apply any clear during the paint process, it should be matte until you are finished and ready to apply the final finish. Almost all taxidermy paint dries with a semi gloss or gloss finish. You can flatten any of those paints with a flattening agent or simple corn starch to give tooth for powder application. IMO, there is no need for any clear at all until your final finish coat

Brad Hendrickson likes this.
  19. Brad Hendrickson

thanks. Glad I asked this questions. Learned some valuable insight

20. h20halo

h20halo Member

I bought a can of fixative at blicks today. I think it was $12. I'll be using it on one fish and hair spray on the other for comparison. Rooting hard for the hair spray!