1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Cinnamon Bill

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Feb 21, 2020.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

About to do my first cinnamon teal and need to paint the bill. I know it is not black but thought I would ask what others are doing for the upper bill and lower bill? Does anyone have a reference pic of the bill (top and bottom)?

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Flesh undercoat and black over top but not real hard black. You can let some flesh values show thru. Although a lot of pictures show a pretty dark bill.

KLFL likes this.

3. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

I have done several cinnamon teal for competition and have always got good marks on my bills. After putting your black down on your upper and lower. I mist pintail gray with a touch of sailfish blue then seal with a matte finish on the top bill only, staying away from the nail. This will give you your dark color but will also give you depth. This also works well with Canadian Geese, Swans, Green Wing Teal and Golden Eyes. Hope this helps.

RichMO likes this.
  4. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Wow , I been painting them black for years although I'm not doing any shows .. I guess if you wanna be one of those ribbon winning folks the extra detail does matter .... Hats off to you ....
    As far as layering to get a certain color using 3 colors to make one ... like many of the books suggest.. These days there are so many colors of paint out there that I can most always find a one shot color .... The perfect color match for the Drake Pintail and Wigeon bills is made by Testors Model Masters .... French Light Blue /Grey .... I matched these from fresh kills and you won't find a better color for these bills that is a simple one shot color ... No need to try and layer it , shoot it and that's it .... Much faster but the paint says airbrush ready and it's really not ... One more thing I've seen on many Drake pintail bills is that guys are either lazy or they just can't do it free hand is a hard line from using tape ... Free hand is best IMO because it blends naturally vs a tape line that looks bad IMO ....

RichMO and Mario Pinocci like this.
  5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Mario,
    Thanks I like the idea of looking for depth.

6. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Can you post a link? Please. I’d like to buy some