1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Let’s Talk Bobcat Eyes

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Clovis Point, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I’m undertaking my first two cats here shortly. One of them is an animal I purchased from a local trapper and the other is for a longtime friend who has been willing to let me use his critters to get me through the learning curve. He decided he really liked the noonies Bc-v9 as seen in McKenzie. This form features a 16mm eye and I decided I’d really like to use a higher end premium eye with a white band. I think the Matuska reflective eyes look really cool and the 250 iq tohickons but neither are available in a 16mm bass but the iris is 16mm? Can someone help me out here?

also could someone please explain slit vs round pupil? I must admit I have not had the chance to observe many living bobcats close enough to look at their pupil shapes.

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

Pupil shapes are from dilation from light or lack of.

Sleepyhollow and Micah Howards like this.

3. Reference reference reference. Pupils vary so much in these guys. The form you choose could be used for an alert look or a relaxed looked, this can also dictate what the pupils will look like. If you want something more alert looking into the distance I would say more of a slit pupil is what you want, if relaxed I would go with a rounder pupil. For eyes I always use Payer, great quality eyes and half the price of most. 16mm is the size of the entire eye, not the pupil. Your pupil will be between 5 and 10 mm.

Sleepyhollow, wa and Micah Howards like this.
  4. Steve TCT

Steve TCT New Member

I like the tohickon 18mm

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Bobcats are nocturnal - pupils are always dialated at night to let in all available light.
    Slitted pupils are in bright light. Also, I trapped bobcats for almost 30 years and, maybe once, saw the whites of their eyes!

George, Sleepyhollow and Dave Byrd like this.
  6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would recommend Payer or Matuska reflective eyes. Most other eyes on the market have pupil shapes that just aren't accurate.

The BC-V9 is a pretty small cat. I would go with an 18mm Payer eye, or 16/18 Matuska Reflective. Quality white banded eyes are going to require you to remove a little foam in the eye area of your form. That's no biggie, because to set them properly you would need to do that anyway.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Go to Taxidermy Training Unlimited and purchase the two bobcat DVDs with Brian Harness. He goes in depth with the eyes using reference photos and live reference where you can see the eyes rotate and at what point the white shows as well as pupil dilation. It'a worth the INVESTMENT.