1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pair Of Repro Kings

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fermis, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Hello all...total noob here!
    I have done one repro smallmouth ("live cast" ordered through McKenzie).
    My background is in scale model aircraft, so I have airbrushing in the "quiver" of skills, as well as assembly, and everything needed to get to "paint ready".
    Where my skills are lacking, in this venture, is in the area of colors.
    I have ordered the video from Anglers Artistry...I'm sure that will answer a lot of questions.

For the smally, I just used some model paints that I had on hand (enamels thinned in lacquer gloss)

[​IMG]
    For my first go at this sort of thing, I'm not terribly disappointed!

On to the salmon.
    One for me...
    [​IMG]

And one for my Dad...
    [​IMG]

I ordered from Lake Country...and despite most of the "reviews" that I read after ordering...these are quite decent(for my purposes at least!).
    Part of the head on mine was busted when I unpacked em. A little super glue and sanding...no biggy.

There was very little in the way of point of contact, between the heads and bodies. I used 5 minute epoxy, and added a countersunk screw. Filled the gap with "Magic Sculpt" epoxy/resin.

[​IMG]

I suppose I could have spent more time grinding to get a better fit...but this was easier, and I still would have had to do it anyway.
    The fit of the fins was pretty crappy. In a happy accident...I put them in hot soapy water to was em...they got soft and pliable. With a few heat (hot water) treatments, I was able to reshape them and get a snug fit into their slots. Some more Magic Sculpt to fill the gaps...

[​IMG]

That is where they stand right now. Waiting on the video before I proceed.

I am still debating on how to display them...
    1. Just a simple ring type hanger
    2. Plaque
    3. Driftwood
    4. Free standing

The question I have right now...
    These things are pretty heavy, which has me nervous, especially for option 1...which would be the preferred route for my Dads.
    Would just a pair of screws be enough?
    Should I go with something a bit meatier...like those "butterfly" type drywall anchors?
    [​IMG]

I couldn't really see well, down inside...I didn't see a wood block...it just looked thicker along the sides.

Lance.G and msestak like this.
  2. h20halo

h20halo Member

I like your paint job on the smallmouth. Can't wait to see how the kings turn out. Interested to hear about the wood block question, myself.

msestak likes this.

3. NOAH@aarrkk

NOAH@aarrkk Well-Known Member

GA
    I'd suggest calling the supplier and inquire. My guess is that there is a wood block in there somewhere. Otherwise the drywall screws should work well also. Jerry

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Unless you asked for a wood block you did not get it,
    Don’t really need it
    Good friends with John, he is now retired from LC
    I challenged him on this topic years ago,
    He took a large musky put a single dry wall screw in the back and challenged me to snatch it out With a nylon cord tied to it
    I could not do it

5. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!
    Being new to the game, I just didn't know how tough this stuff is.

Out of curiosity...would drilling a screw into this (without a pilot hole) make it want to crack?
    (I do plan to drill pilot holes regardless).
    I do know I made a mistake when I drilled out the eye on a smally...using a bit, the same size as the eye. Lesson learned...small bit...then grind with a Dremel!

6. Clew

York, SC
    Pilot hole good idea

7. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Taking a second look at these...trying to not rush and overlook something that could be done simply, and I'd regret not doing before getting under way.

[​IMG]

These adipose fins do not look right to me....
    1. Completely different shapes. Is there that much difference between male/female?)
    2. Am I correct that there shouldn't be such a gap between fin/back?

8. Clew

York, SC
    It is possible for them to raise a bit under certain conditions
    Mostly lay right up on body
    Paint those epoxy areas to match

Fermis likes this.
  9. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Thank ya!
    Been going over those epoxy areas with a light, at all angles...they looked okay...in bad lighting. Looking closer...not so good! Reworking those areas now and I'll move to those fins. Should be able to just heat em and press em down.

10. Clew

York, SC
    Keep use posted on progress

11. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Will do.
    I'm a bit surprised by the lack of "Work in Progress" threads. Coming from the world of scale models...the forums are full of "WiP" threads. They are a great way to pick up tips, from others WiP's, as well as people offering tips for your own WiPs. Being a noob....I need all the help I can get!!!

I added some Magic Sculpt where needed for filler, as well as doing a bit more work to blend them (will be painted white to match the rest, before moving on). I was able to heat up the fins (hair dryer) and press them down.

[​IMG]

There was a stubborn spot on this one...couldn't get it pressed down, so I filled the gap.

[​IMG]

In other news, I finished my 2nd fish!
    Another smally. This one for my nephew...one he caught on a Boy Scout trip over in Minnesota.
    Like the first, I just used some model paints (enamels) that I had on hand.

[​IMG]

My brother is in the USMC, so this guy will stay here until they come back home for a visit this summer.

[​IMG]

I had that LM done years ago....cost me $60....I'll award 229 Fermis buck$ to anyone who can guess what year(+/- a year or two!) that was!!! 18", if that helps!
    Someday, I'd like to bring it up to snuff, and will be asking some questions. She's been from Kansas to Hawaii, back to KS...to Phoenix back to Ks again, several local moves...up to Michigan, back to Ks and back to Mi again...she's had a hard afterlife!

12. Clew

York, SC
    Sounds like 84 prices

13. h20halo

h20halo Member

nice job, Fermis. I agree with the work in progress threads. I'm brand new to this and am working on a couple beat up free replicas. One is a walleye, the other a smally. I'll start one and take the recommendations/abuse as I learn. BTW, we are practically neighbors. I live in Howell.

14. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

No kiddin'?!!!
    I work (part time...graveyard shift, winter) at the Howell airport....keeping the runway and taxiway clear of snow, for when/if UofM Survival Flight has to go out or get back in (or anyone else, for that matter!). Also been flying out of there since '98. My folks are right on Strawberry Lake...I'm just a block to the east (between lake and soccer fields)...just a short walk down there. Pretty decent fishing for smallies and walleye (pike and L/M too), once it warms up a bit.
    Kinda hard to tell in the pic, but that's the Huron, right behind me (avatar pic), in my parents yard. It was way easier to grab the canoe, to fetch my deer, than to drag him all the way home! (I should be getting that guy back in the next couple weeks!)

15. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Dang close!
    I screwed up though. I had the fish and a deer hide done...deer was $60...fish was $70.
    I bet if I gave the right price, you'da guessed '88!!!
    I hereby award you...229 Fermis bucks.

*disclaimer*..."Fermis bucks" are basically worthless and not redeemable anywhere(that I'm aware of)...but you are free to award others as many Fermis bucks as you wish, so long as you have them in your Fermis bucks account. It is an honor....that's about it!;)

16. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Just get rid of the Adipose Fin and say they were STOCKED and Clipped lol :)

17. Clew

York, SC
    Fermis
    Just deposit the funds in my account
    LOL
    Your right on the dates

18. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Finally got into working on my Dads salmon.
    Took advantage of the warm (relatively speaking) day we had, the other day. Did some rattlecan base work.

[​IMG]

My folks don't have much wall space, so I built a "desktop" stand...

[​IMG]

I did put a "D" ring type hanger on the fish...so there's the option.

[​IMG]

Just like the bass...I'm using model paints (enamels/lacquer) that I have on hand.
    I use Model Masters (Testors) "Metalizers" on the cheeks. Colors are magnesium, steel, and polished aluminum. All went on with the airbrush.

[​IMG]

Will be coming back to the head later.
    Moved on to the fins...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On a side note...
    Went down to Tampa last weekend to visit my bro. and do some fishing.
    Weather sucked, wind howled the whole time we were there. We got a bit of refuge from said winds at a little channel/inlet on Macdill AFB.
    While my bro was busy messin with ladyfish...I caught 3 trout (new species for me!)

Just little guys...but at least they were on my list of targets!
    [​IMG]

I later gave in, and had some fun with the ladyfish. Lots of fun...decent fight...great jumps. I lost count...scratch that...gave up counting. Caught somewhere in the 40-50 range.

This was about average size...
    [​IMG]

Also caught a pair of puffers at another location.
    [​IMG]

I threw all sorts of stuff in several locations...the only thing that produced any fish was a Kastmaster (even the puffers hit that thing!)

19. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

After tediously trying to pick out individual scales (started on the back side)...it looked pretty stupid. Scale detail on this thing is not very good, which is what led to things being less than satisfactory.
    Gotta be a better way!
    I had a rattlecan of Model Masters "buffable metalizer". When you spray it on something, it dries a bit powdery...buff it with a soft cloth...the more you buff, the shinier it gets.
    (it's intended purpose is for a natural metal finish on model airplanes)
    I sprayed it onto an old sock(soft cloth), let the carrier evaporate, then rubbed it across the fish. The higher details picked up the color. Same principal as "dry brushing".
    The effect doesn't show well in pics...like everything, looks better in person.

[​IMG]

My little friend "Penelope" (pee-nah-lope) had to check it out...she was a bit nervous!

[​IMG]

She decided it was no threat, and carried on about her business...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Calling this one done..finished up the other day...

[​IMG]

(That violet REALLY shows up, in the sun)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my first go at a salmon...I'm not terribly displeased. Not as good as I hoped, but better than I thought she'd turn out. Learned a few "do this...don't do that" things, along the way!

I also finished up my first crappie (same sentiments as above)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My folks weren't due back for another couple weeks...but decided to cut their winter trip short, due to the present situation. So...my Dad got his fish!

[​IMG]

ARUsher likes this.