1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Animal Is This Skull From?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by kathryng, Feb 23, 2020.

1. kathryng

kathryng New Member

Found on the shore of Lake Ontario, Ontario, Canada. 9765DCB7-297F-456A-8F69-20AEAA164DBC.jpeg ACA557C2-9F04-4121-BC64-A2A8005EFBFC.jpeg

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Without digging, would guess that you have a partial skull of a buck deer. Most of it is missing and the lumps on the top would be pedicels where the antlers were. Looking at it further though, the sutures on the top are incorrect for a deer. Still poking ....

Sutures seem to indicate a young lamb. Picture is from the back facing toward the front. Sutures seem to match. mostly. The angle is to less of a degree on yours where they meet the center line. Might be a difference in breed. My other thought would be a young goat but having a harder time finding a good picture of that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sea Wolf, I'll always defer to you on boneheads, but it does look a lot like a domestic sheep ewe.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's not a deer. The sutures are all wrong. I only have a couple of huge ram skulls to compare with and one big goat. This is a smaller, younger skull and it's only the back of the cranium. I don't have much to compare it to and there isn't much showing this angle online. The picture I put up is that of a lamb (young sheep). Even then, the sutures across the top on the OP skull are almost in a straight line across. I agree that it is either one or the other, probably female as you stated. Wondering if different species may have sutures that appear differently. Hoping someone has a sheep and goat skull collection to collaborate. :) Not easy when it's only a small part and domestics can be so similar.