1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Worried About Porch Pirates

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Feb 24, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I never have worried about it before and I always insured the mounts that I mailed with USPS. But, with all the talk on the news about "porch pirates" these days I wonder if I should go ahead and pay for "signature confirmation".
    What do you guys that ship mounts do or think about this?

2. Definitely do that

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Usually not necessary, just insure for at least $500. Since anything insured for over $500 requires a signature you don't need to pay extra for a signature since they'll do it anyway. I usually insure for $500 even if the fish replica is less just because it's cheaper to do the insurance than pay for the signature usually. You never know your customer's porch situation nor how honest your customer is. Signature keeps everybody honest...

4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I did not know about insurance over $500 requiring a signature, Thanks. Yea, that's another thing I worried about was running into a dishonest customer.

FishArt likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Isn't that terrible that one has to even think the customer will claim they did not get it so they can get out of paying?

If USPS scans the package and claim they left it on the porch do they still have to pay if it is stolen?

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I always get a signature and my fish are around a grand to be shipped out so I do take all precautions as I’ve seen damage done more than once.
    Having them sign is only CYA and for a few bucks more I don’t care cause my clients pay for that!!! It’s their dime not yours and if your making it yours then something is wrong in Denmark lol

Clew, rogerswildlife and FishArt like this.
  7. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Dont People PAY IN FULL before you ship it out? That way if its LOST or STOLEN...Its the carriers fault or Thief.. and as far as faking a theft - Its PAID in FULL...???

8. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Ive had many packages delivered by USPS say they were left on the porch, or in the mailbox, completely delivered. And then id get the package the next day.

FishArt likes this.
  9. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Yup.. i had that happen... Ive had to call too because then they say - ohhh it was delivered to the wrong addresss

FishArt and HondaXR250 like this.
  10. FishArt

Make sure you mention it to the USPS employee that you want the $500+ so that you don't need to pay extra for the signature. Every PO I've been to does it this way but just to make sure they're on the same page. Now, I don't know about any of the other couriers because I pretty much exclusively use the USPS because they're the cheapest. The worst tracking, but the cheapest - lol!

11. FishArt

LOL, that's because the USPS Tracking is very inconsistent and as Brad mentioned it may have gone to your neighbor! I've seen some of my packages listed on USPS Tracking at a hub 10 states over in the wrong direction! Usually they're pretty good though. I give my customers the option for better tracking with UPS or half the price in shipping. Guess which one they always choose?!? ;)

Brad, yes all customers are paid in full before shipping. BUT, if they paid with a credit card and it's in the window of time they COULD file a charge-back and let you deal with the courier and the claim. If it shows it was never rec'd on their end they would most assuredly win that argument. Besides, the last thing you want to do as a business-person (IF the mount was truly lost) is to not assist your customer in filing a claim. Altho knock on wood I've never had a shipment lost and actually never damaged either when crated myself in 20 plus years of shipping fish mounts and replicas.

HondaXR250 likes this.
  12. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I always print my own USPS label at home and purchase the insurance then. But, I do have to go by our local post office today so I'll be sure to ask the clerk about the insurance. Thanks for all the good information.

FishArt likes this.
  13. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I guess I've been extremely lucky that I've never had an issue before. I only insured for the price of the piece plus shipping without signature confirmation. I'm glad I asked the question.

FishArt likes this.
  14. FishArt

I think I know the answer, but I've always wondered about the shipping portion. IF they did lose your package why on earth should they still be paid to lose your package? Makes zero sense. They SHOULD refund your money here. But, like I said I'm sure they still get their money somewhere in the fine print! The ONLY reason I insure is for total loss. Making a damage claim will never happen since I crate myself I'm screwed there.

15. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I'm not sure either but they might refund the postage after all the paperwork gets done. I do know, before the insurance pays for damage, the mount must have been crated or boxed 3" away from any side and totally surrounded by packing peanuts or some other packing materials. I was told this by a USPS clerk.

FishArt likes this.
  16. FishArt

Yeah, but what they won't tell you is filing a successful claim when you crate it yourself takes a ton of effort, documentation, time and lost wages for them to resolve things in your favor. And a ton of persistence because they will probably fight it tooth and nail. Most cases will be denied. Only reason to insure is for the possibility of total loss. And, if you pack things correctly - or overkill like I do, you won't ever worry about damage.

17. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Back when i was breeding tarantulas, a buddy in new york sent me a mature male i needed. It was shipping here to ohio. It bypassed ohio, went all the way to california, was then caught and sent back to ohio. Took 8 days, and he was dead.

I shipped a 4 FOOT tall chameleon enclosure through ups once. They lost it, never found.

18. drob

drob Active Member

Seems like shipping problems have become more problematic with the internet shipping boom such as Amazon/ebay,etc.

19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Absolutely get signature required to deliver or request that they pick it up in person at the PO. I had an expensive medallion delivered to me. The sender screwed up and didn't even send it insured. I was extremely not happy. Found out it had been "delivered" two weeks before I finally inquired about where it was. I went to the PO and filed a claim. They initially denied it there but I pursued it. The tracking I get just says it was delivered. The tracking their office can pull up is different and it showed it was scanned at a different address than mine. Now, maybe the postal guy scanned all the packages at the beginning of the street before delivering them. Regardless, it worked in my favor and I was able to get a check for $700 from the PO after the seller submitted the sales receipt and description of what it was. I consider myself fortunate as it wasn't even sent insured. Always a signature and always insured. Saves a world of hurt later.