1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help! What Kind Of Bone Is This!??

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jennifer Burns, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jennifer Burns

Jennifer Burns New Member

I found this in the yard where I walk everyday. It just showed up. What kind of bone is it and how did it get there?? My dogs can’t go that far bc it’s outside of the invisible fence.

Attached Files:

2. LilyDay

LilyDay New Member

Hey there!
    I'd say that it would be a femur (upper leg) bone. What it's from, though; I have no idea...
    Hope this helps.

Jennifer Burns likes this.

3. Jennifer Burns

Some others have said the same and said it’s a dog femur. It wasn’t there the day before so I’m left wondering who brought it there! I live in the country and our dogs can’t go that far bc of the invisible fence. So coyotes walk around with old dog femurs for fun?!? I’m taking it as a warning since it was left next to my trail cam.

4. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

If it was left next to your trail cam then you should know what dropped it there when you check the pics. I wouldn’t take it as any kind of warning. My money is on a coyote or fox dropped it there. Not a big deal. The woods are full of bones in all stages of decay.

HondaXR250 and msestak like this.
  5. Jennifer Burns

Sometimes the camera does work and this time I had no pics. :(

6. Jennifer Burns

T

thank you!

7. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Ahh bummer. Yeah I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Hopefully next time you’ll get a pic!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Assume also that it could be from a coyote. Anything could have been carrying it and dropped it. Looking at the green on it, it has been laying around for some time. Need to get a trail cam that works. Might be missing some important things you want to see.

9. Jennifer Burns

Thanks we do have coyotes that try to get the free range chickens and the dogs protect them. I agree I have several of the same type of camera and they all only work sometimes or get stuck and take a pic every minute all night.

10. Jennifer Burns

Yes I need to get a better camera.

11. Jennifer Burns

Thank you
    I guess I’m fine with it as long as it’s not a human bone.

12. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Member

It's a humerus, not a femur (arm not thigh bone). I'm guessing deer. NOT human!