1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which Pose/form For This Buck?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kwood, Feb 26, 2020.

1. kwood

kwood New Member

Need some advice for a pose and turn that would show off this deer’s rack, and work best in this particular room.

Need suggestions on a form too, as he is a Large 200+# Northern buck, but no swell (late Sept). so ideally something available in a no-swell but in a large enough size. Which I am having a tough time finding.

Pics of the deer below:
    Note his much stronger Left side and big split on left G2.
    F7D6806B-4235-4FE4-8595-DC3B27A9904C.jpeg
    606FE7A3-466F-4826-8DF9-427F6BE814CA.jpeg
    Also a pic of the room/wall: (std 8’ ceilings)

He will either go where the smaller buck (on L) is now, or on the adjacent wall between the corner and the window. Please mention when you make your suggestion which spot you would put him in!
    914F34B0-9BE9-4782-AAC6-7EB9A59DC14D.jpeg
    This view is also where he will be viewed from the most, as the TV is focal point of the room and that is also where you tend to enter from (to the right is a closet).

heavily leaning toward a regular shoulder mount (not pedestal) but my arm could be twisted if that’s what really would be best...

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

McKenzie 64-U semi-sneak RT (or something similar) placed on the left spot on your photo. Head is tilted up and I think would show off that rack well without interfering the view of the other two. IMO

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I would do Mckenzie 6900 ( semi sneak ) left . But I would move the the bigger buck in pic to the spot beside the window as it would be looking into the room , leave the small buck where it’s at and hang New buck next to him with left turn, IMO putting the better side of the rack to the inside of the turn balances out the rack/deer and looks better . And is why I say left turn

4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I Agree with 13 point on placement. But I would use a OTS 600 series and rasp/sand some of the swell out of the form. I love OTS for Big mature deer. We all have our favorite forms. Choose a good taxidermist is the most important step.

5. kwood

kwood New Member

Great comments guys! I never thought of moving the big guy on the right. I am gonna try it on “for size” tomorrow!

OTS 600 series, that looks great, the 700 series looks interesting as well.

Also before this, looking at McK 64 U and 6300S series? (The S is for Southern/Summer deer that have smaller neck (even if mature). Thoughts? Mine is and big mature Northern Deer but being September he doesn’t have much neck.

Also, can someone explain to me what situations you pick offset and why? I’ve been trying to get a handle on this.

One thing that is making it difficult is on the mfr websites it is hard to tell where the “wall” is and what angle it’s at. Also only occasionally do I see the form from the “aerial” view but that helps a lot but few sites offer this!

thanks guys!

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Still 6900 , big mature deer and you can get it with a non rut neck in the 6900 series, the 6300 is a smaller version of the 6900

7. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Ots form. Either a full sneak right or semi sneak right. I want that turn to show the left side of the rack from the viewing area. Look at Lancaster (research Mannikins) too. His whitetail forms are pretty nice. Oh and the wall by the window.