1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sika Deer 13 Point

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by crablover, Feb 27, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Active Member

13 Point in a previous post you said you are known in your state for the best Sika Deer mounts. There seems to be hardly any forms available for them, and what is available are way to big. Who do you find with the best forms and are small enough for your Sika Deer.. Do you use another animal form and alter it to a Sika Deer? Thanks so much

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

75102D2D-96BA-44FC-B6A4-463AE59CAF56.jpeg 9E18A801-CA95-4D4D-9875-D0A7C28E0A7C.jpeg BB286601-BDE0-4F25-8F81-B554C12EC494.jpeg 22AB159F-A5D5-468D-861D-AE6F8F44A6B7.jpeg 8A964018-26CB-4135-B069-4EC987842BF0.png I do alterations a lot and am in the process of sculpting forms , but if you look at the McKenzie catalog you will see they have some forms . The 14 and 16 inch forms are of the MD/Japanese Sika , I sent Dennis Bain the deer to sculpt them . But there is a problem with them . As I sent him half frozen deer , he sculpted from meat measurements , but here’s the issue our sika have up to a 1/2 inch thick hide on back of neck and skull that wasn’t allowed for so he sculpted a 16 inch neck stag into a 14 inch form and the 18 inch deer into a 16 inch form , our deer aren’t really big , but stout. The eye to nose measurements are between 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 very rarely will you find a 6 inch face , that said you have a few opinions . Using you deers measurements I order a 14 inch and cut the head off and either split and wedge the form to make it the 16 or if I can talk them into it I order the 16 inch form and cut the head off and put the 14 inch head on it and so on . Here’s the issue the 5 1/4 e/n is on a 14 form the 5 1/2 e/n is on the 16 and the 6 e/n is on the 18 , when in reality all the e/n measurements should be put on the next size neck form up . Sounds confusing but is how they measure out because of the hide thickness you have to take off . It has to be put back somewhere, So a 5 1/4 e/n is normally a 16 inch neck stag, you could cut the nose off form and shorten face but that destorts the look , the heads are great just on wrong form . For hinds/does I do use a WTail doe form but I cut and alter the chit out of the face , neck and shoulders . For L/S a blackbuck body form is close but still needs to be altered. I use 26 or 28 mm dark WTail eyes . I wanted to have a line of forms out by now but had to have both shoulders replaced so it screwed my plans up . But I’ll be back at that shortly. I don’t think I said I was the best , I said I was one of the better and what I was known for lol . Hope I answered all you questions and didn’t confuse you to much . Anymore questions ask away or call me 410-977-1856 Glen . Here’s a few of my Sika mounts

3. crablover

crablover Active Member

[QTUOTE="13 point, post: 2798101, member: 30609"] View attachment 214672 View attachment 214673 View attachment 214674 View attachment 214675 View attachment 214676 I do alterations a lot and am in the process of sculpting forms , but if you look at the McKenzie catalog you will see they have some forms . The 14 and 16 inch forms are of the MD/Japanese Sika , I sent Dennis Bain the deer to sculpt them . But there is a problem with them . As I sent him half frozen deer , he sculpted from meat measurements , but here’s the issue our sika have up to a 1/2 inch thick hide on back of neck and skull that wasn’t allowed for so he sculpted a 16 inch neck stag into a 14 inch form and the 18 inch deer into a 16 inch form , our deer aren’t really big , but stout. The eye to nose measurements are between 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 very rarely will you find a 6 inch face , that said you have a few opinions . Using you deers measurements I order a 14 inch and cut the head off and either split and wedge the form to make it the 16 or if I can talk them into it I order the 16 inch form and cut the head off and put the 14 inch head on it and so on . Here’s the issue the 5 1/4 e/n is on a 14 form the 5 1/2 e/n is on the 16 and the 6 e/n is on the 18 , when in reality all the e/n measurements should be put on the next size neck form up . Sounds confusing but is how they measure out because of the hide thickness you have to take off . It has to be put back somewhere, So a 5 1/4 e/n is normally a 16 inch neck stag, you could cut the nose off form and shorten face but that destorts the look , the heads are great just on wrong form . For hinds/does I do use a WTail doe form but I cut and alter the chit out of the face , neck and shoulders . For L/S a blackbuck body form is close but still needs to be altered. I use 26 or 28 mm dark WTail eyes . I wanted to have a line of forms out by now but had to have both shoulders replaced so it screwed my plans up . But I’ll be back at that shortly. I don’t think I said I was the best , I said I was one of the better and what I was known for lol . Hope I answered all you questions and didn’t confuse you to much . Anymore questions ask away or call me 410-977-1856 Glen . Here’s a few of my Sika mounts[/QUOTE]Thanks so much for your answer, it is good info. With everything you said, seems like a ton of extra work. So how much do you charge with all the changes and having to work with two forms? If you charge 850.00 for a Whitetail with all the forms there are, you must get more than 850.00. I also have tons of scabs and wounds around the antler burrs.. How do you deal with that? Also, when will your forms be ready to purchase, and how much will they cost. thanks again

4. 13 point

I charge $825 for a standard shoulder Mount WTail or Sika, if they want bugle or something special then yes it’s more . Unfortunately I can’t charge more on the Sika as it’s not there fault and I’m so fast and know what’s needed I don’t have a lot of time in changing out the heads , I’m not charged to much for the 5 1/4 heads off the 14 inch forms so I buy 16 inch forms and cut those heads off and and move them all up to next size form then I’m left with 6” heads and I make antler rack mounts with them so I don’t really loose to much . As for the scabs , I glue thin slices of hide I get from my fleshing machine when thinning the cape down after being in the pickle and I tan them up . So now u have the same hide so it’s going to dry and such at the same rate . I glue them under the scabbed up area and after it dries I epoxy sculpt those holes up and blend in . My forms probably won’t be ready till end of next season and I’m not sure on cost but they will be in the range cost of most forms that size . What part of Md are you in ? Crablover

Brian Reinertson likes this.
  5. crablover

crablover Active Member

Kent Island and great info posted. Is that 1/2
    that critical for a head swap? At 825-00, you must be the highest priced around. How many do you home tan at a time. With the warm weather this year. how many Sika did you take in

6. 13 point

My brother lives in Kent island Mark Jenkins, you should come over I’m 40min from ya lol , bout 20 Sika , I left my number on this thread above call , be glad to help in any way and show you how I do things , you help me I’ll help you kinda thing

7. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

355C8A13-5F93-4CCA-A8AA-19DEFB6004F1.jpeg Altered

Micah Howards likes this.
  8. 13 point

Robert Wise likes this.
  9. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

Thanks!

10. crablover

crablover Active Member

Mr Wise, very nice mount. Is that a Yakashima Island deer taken in Maryland or one of the larger sub species? What form did you use if I may ask?
    Mr. Jenkins, thank you for the offer I am a one man band, and 2020 makes 45 years for me. on Kent Island. I get my share of Sika as well, and it's nice to hear from another taxidermist that has experience with them.

11. 13 point

Is your name Bruce Foster if so we met 20 some years ago

12. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

E024A206-AC90-4DA2-9E29-2E2F02B689C8.jpeg Yes it is the Yakashiam Island Sika taken by me in Dorchester County Maryland. The mannikin I used was from Research Mannikins it’s their Lifesize Hog deer . Legs had to be lengthened for accuracy and some other minor adjustments.

13. crablover

crablover Active Member

Glen, I can't remember yesterday let alone 20 years ago. Where did we meet? Would love to see your Sika forms. How many do you have?

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

really nice work

15. 13 point

Sorry didn’t see your last post , I don’t have any out yet as I’m getting and putting all my ducks in a row kinda thing I had back to back to back shoulder replacement yes 3 of them as one didn’t work correctly which set me way way back , so after I get all my mounts done , I’m going to get back at it . I’ll let you know . It been closer to 30 years most likely when we met I was with some of the old time taxidermist from our state , Tinker, Carnes Slimmer , Hitchcock and Fagen I believe might of been MTA Meeting or something who knows . I’m with you on the memory , it gets worse every day lol . Take care I’ll be talking at ya .