1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush Question

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Just read about it and I’ll say in plain words not made for taxidermy.
    Look into badger, Ripken, Aztec for cheaper and a bit better quality bushes.
    Some of them have set ups for air can dispensary.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight makes a double action airbrush that does acceptable work for taxidermy that runs a little over twenty dollars. I have used mine for many years on everything from deer heads to turkey heads. It has worked as well as the more expensive ones I have used. It's not as good as high end expensive ones, but equals airbrushes I have used that were $65 to $120.

Dave York, Vulpes Vulpes and George like this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ditto, Tanglewood

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  5. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

I started with Harbor Freight a/b and compressor combo (less than $100). I also paid for the extra warranty....which I did need to use, just a week before it expired. I do a lot of painting (model airplanes), for long periods...I think the compressor just couldn't handle the hours long sessions.
    I got the replacement and bought a second compressor. I switch back and forth about every 20 minutes. They are both still going strong after 6-7 years.
    The a/b that comes in the combo is okay, but I have only managed to get about a 1/4" spray at the finest. It's better suited to larger areas. They do have another a/b...it has a slightly shorter (blue) handle, that has a much finer spray pattern, for detail work (about $20).
    The compressor has a built in pressure regulator/moisture trap. I do keep it open enough so that the compressor isn't constantly turning on/off...I also like a lower air pressure.
    I'd highly recommend an "in-line" moisture trap, and put it in the air line as close to the a/b as you can get, and keep it open a bit!...otherwise, you'll spit water from time to time. (I got one from Paasche for $15).

woakley144 and Vulpes Vulpes like this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The blue handled one is the one I have. I use a much larger compressor.