1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydration Help Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by minkoil, Feb 29, 2020.

1. minkoil

minkoil New Member

hello, im new to the forum... posting this here because im very undecided on what exactly i should do:

i like working with vintage furs and leathers and as you might suspect a lot of them are very dry, sometimes hard. i find for my purposes, reconditioning with mink fat oil/tallow/conditioner often works great. but for this particular project i really want to RESHAPE the old leather as well....so im stuck, trying to decide.
    -condition leather first THEN give it the plunge? will it effect drying process? other things?
    -rehydrate first? then oil?

im worried about the latter option, because it would be hard to condition the leather after its rehydrated and sewn up! maybe not impossible....but ive never been stuck with this issue before, so i gotta ask.

what do the experts say?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Nobody can be sure with old leather what could happen. It’s always a chance

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

As Frank said, there are just too many variables to give much advice here. Type of tan, age of tan, condition, wear, etc. Each hide you try to re-hydrate could react differently. I would re-hydrate a small corner of each hide and see how it reacts. Those that react favorably, I would proceed to re-hydrate and then oil and rebreak hide to soften if needed (very gently).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. minkoil

minkoil New Member

thank you!! will do this