1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Iron Out

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hoytarcher, Feb 29, 2020.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I posted a thread on here asking about discoloration and I got some responses of using Iron out. So I went and bought some today and decided that I would give it a try. The first one I did I put it on for about 20 minutes and it took the reddish tinge out of the skull. So after seeing this and how well it worked I made the decision that I would put the one that had really bad discoloration into the solution and see how much it took off. Well needless to say it worked AMAZING....all the reddish copper look was gone. I then go to place it into some water in another container and it was a tight fit and the skull fell apart, I mean crumbed apart. The difference in the 2 heads was that the first one was 20 min and the 2nd one was about 2hrs. Lesson learned.
    On the flip side, Iron out works amazing at removing that reddish discoloration but you cant leave it in very long....

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That is good to know. I have yet to really experiment with it but don't fully trust it. On the other hand, how was the skull that fell apart cleaned? A skull that crumbles is usually over boiled or simmered with soda. Soda will absolutely destroy bone.

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

Do you mix the iron out with water? How much iron out did you use?

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Post a pic of the iron out label that you used, front and back instructions. There are different formulations.

5. Sea Wolf

Use the Advanced Search on her for Iron Out and read up on it as there are a lot of posts and threads about using it. You do mix it with water. I used maybe 1/4 cup in several gallons of water the last time I used it.

6. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I have used it since the "incident" and used 1/2 cup Iron 3 gallons of water for 15 minutes. Worked very well but I may try 20 min.

7. cyclone

It's extremely important that you use the proper product. You need Summit brand Iron out in the powder form!

Was your product the powder form or liquid?

If it is not the powder form then it is NOT the proper product!

8. Sea Wolf

I bought a box of the Iron Out a long while ago (when you first mentioned it Cyclone) and it was a white crystalline powder. I still have it and, admittedly, what I am seeing now on the shelves is a liquid. Not sure where the powder went.

9. cyclone

The liquid is their Outdoor cleaner. It is primarily oxalic acic and is not the same as the powder form.

10. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    This is a powder.
    [​IMG]

11. Sea Wolf

Somewhere on the back, it should say what the chemical is. Is it Iron Out, Super Iron Out .. or something else?