1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing To Peroxide Timeline Question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by double gun, Feb 29, 2020.

1. double gun

double gun New Member

I apologize for asking but I tried the search function reading many posts without an answer.

1) Should a skull that comes out of the degreasing solution dry for a few days before going into peroxide?

2)should a skull that comes out of the degreasing solution immediately go into peroxide?

3) doesn’t matter if you let it dry or go immediately.

Thanks for your time

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I like to let mine dry out for a day or so in the sun if possible ( I cover the rack up ) as you can see if you got all the grease out . Then into the whitener

Wildthings likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Depending on the species I go straight into peroxide. Some predators, like coyotes and foxes, really are not that greasy and rarely have issues. Bear and deer I let dry for a day or so to see if any oil is still showing. Either back to degreasing or then into peroxide. The only exception to this would be if you were using acetone to try and remove stubborn grease. Never go from acetone into peroxide without first making sure that all acetone has evaporated off. Doing so creates an unstable explosive.

4. double gun

double gun New Member

Thanks for the responses, I wasn’t sure if there was a concern doing it either way. I’m trying ammonia for what it’s worth.

5. Sea Wolf

Ammonia either mixed in with your detergent or straight. I had an old, boiled, Russian brown bear that had petrified grease oozing out of it. Was over 50 years old. 6 months in ammonia greatly improved it but it still has stains/discoloration and probably always will.

6. double gun

double gun New Member

is there a suggested mix ratio ammonia to water?
    Is straight ammonia with no water asking for trouble? (Perhaps that’s what you were talking about with the brown bear skull)

7. Sea Wolf

I got lazy and just chucked the bear into straight ammonia. You can dilute it to save materials. Straight ammonia didn't damage it and the horse I did was soaked for 6 months in probably 50/50 ammonia and water only because the container I had it in was so big (30 gal trash barrel). In a 5 gal bucket I toss in about 4 cups or so usually. I also buy the horrid 10% stuff from the hardware store. Ferocious stuff compared to what they have in the supermarket.

This was the horse before. Dripping oil and grease, stinking and one of the nastiest things I've ever worked on. Dropped it in the barrel and walked away from it.
    [​IMG]

After 6 months in ammonia, a good wash and then peroxide, this is what I got. No damage to the bone whatsoever.
    [​IMG]

8. Thomas remmingberg

Thomas remmingberg New Member

Sea Wolf,
    Nothing much seemed to happen to that horse's skull, it seems as though your theory of "the skull turns to dust" is wrong. If anything the horse skull looks whiter with bleach and contains little to no skin from what I can see.

9. Sea Wolf

Bleach? Perhaps you read English and translate into some foreign language? I guess you'll have to high-lite what part of the post includes the word bleach. If you are going to troll posts simply to whine maybe you can find something on the political forum to piss about.

10. Thomas remmingberg

Thomas remmingberg New Member

Ammonia is known as a weak based bleach therefore is in the category of bleach.

11. double gun

double gun New Member

Thanks Seawolf, I will go add more into my solution.

12. Sea Wolf

Sorry. Household ammonia (ammonium hydroxide) is a solution of NH3 in water. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite NaClO. A Chlorine product. Ammonia is not bleach, is not related to bleach and mixing the two will kill you. Try it if you don't believe me.

Nick.Niles and ARUsher like this.
  13. You can go directly from degreasing to hydrogen peroxide. HOWEVER, it's better to let the skull/bones dry a bit. Why? Because dry bones will absorb the hydrogen peroxide much better. You will get better results. Yes, this means being patient while you wait for your bones to dry -- but ultimately you save time because you might only need to do one soak in hydrogen peroxide instead of two or three. Also saves you money since you use less hydrogen peroxide.