1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Chrome Paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by crablover, Mar 1, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

What type and brand do you find to be a true Chrome paint? Non metallic with a car bumper finish

2. Several years ago a friend of mine in Oregon caught a large "chrome" steelhead and wished to have a reproduction of it that exhibited a true chrome appearance. The taxidermist he was working with took the blank to an automotive restoration shop of some kind in the Portland area and had the blank chrome plated. I was surprised to learn that most plastics can be chrome plated just as metal is plated. I saw this reproduction in person and the results were outstanding. The chrome served as the base coat for the other surface colors (spots, white pearl wash, etc.) and appeared to hold the paint well. He said the added cost was significant but well worth it. I don't think there are any paints on the market that can even come close to the brilliance of plated chrome.

Lance.G and Frank E. Kotula like this.

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

You must be talking about the Alsa Chrome system.. Best chrome paint available, as long as don't add anything over it. Way to costly.