1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mute Swans In Michigan - Destructive Alien Species

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    I think there are some trolls on Taxi net lately.

When ya'all get done taking care of the mute swans come out west and help us out with our Feral horse problem.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Open a dog food and glue factory, it probably pays more than taxidermy anyway.

3. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    They are protected just like the mute swans.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I had read that. Granted those critters didn't wish to be placed there but neither do they belong and sterilizing is proven to be too costly and ineffective. Just another case of emotion overriding common sense, that seems to be a fault of many humans.

h20halo and Terry Bennett like this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    This is what I love about this place! Where else can you get this stimulating of a conversation?

But seriously.....'mass genocide"?o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think I am changing my mind about legalizing pot!!!:rolleyes:

6. h20halo

h20halo Member

Bullish attitudes don't ruin ecosystems, liberal attitudes that want to waste public money studying everything with the real intent of impeding action while ecosystems continue to go off the rails is what ruins them.

3bears and Fermis like this.
  7. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Not true. I’ve heard that for years. I lived on the Monterey bay for 25 years. Monterey was full of canneries back in the middle of the last century. The main fish they were after was sardines. They eventually eradicated the main food source of almost every fish and marine mammal. I commercial fished back in the 70s and knew many of the old timers that fished sardines. By eliminating one of the main food sources in the central coast according to that domino logic should have caused an environmental disaster.
    In the 25 years of living and fishing there I never saw nor heard of a sardine. What did happen was anchovies moved in and took over where the sardines once thrived. They came in like crazy actually creating an environmental mess in the Santa Cruz harbor. Millions would come in there and then die off from lack of oxygen.
    In the last 20 years sardines came back. They are so thick that you can see a dark ring around the entire bay near the beach.
    Typically when you remove one species out of the chain another species fills that niche. Remove one predator and other species number increases
    I saw an short add recently about not killing off a species that just wants to live like every other species. Had a picture of a sow and piglets. The worst invasive species here. Of course it was from California.

magicmick, Ron B and h20halo like this.
  8. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

When they convince a bear to not kill a deer, or a lion to not kill a gazelle...I'll become a vegan and join their fight!

h20halo likes this.
  9. h20halo

h20halo Member

Seriously, the very first sentence of Joe Kish's original post explained that they were a species that was introduced. Who was playing god at that time? Sure, there are success stories. Great Lakes Salmon and most species of trout, Turkeys, Canadian Geese. Then there are Wolves, Zebra Mussels, Asian Carp, Sea Lampreys, Round Gobies, etc. Non-native and destructive to ecosystems. Although the Gobies are benefiting us with some awesome smallmouth fishing.

Rausch likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

11. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Almost every winery here in California with a pond outside their tasting room bought Mute Swans as decorations. They are a very successful breeder with very few predators that will go after them. There was a small lake where I used to live. One year two showed up. Within three years there was a dozen.