1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammals 3-1-20

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Micah Howards, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Welcome all to Lifesize Mammals! Hard to believe we are already on the 3rd month of the year. So lets see some mounts this month! whatever you got lets see!! to the pros, if you have any pics of your first mounts would love to see them!!

2. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Not the dog, not that good lol received_205150890854902.jpeg

3. Micah Howards

IMG_0504.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0503.JPG So I just finished this one up, this is the one that I was hoping y'all would be impressed by. it took alot of work but got it done!! would be happy for critiques too!

thylacinelover, wa, drob and 5 others like this.
  4. qltycapes

qltycapes Well-Known Member

Nice job! Your persistence is paying off

Micah Howards likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

152F73D4-3EB9-4C88-ACDF-CDF2854E3A02.png 993EE9B2-47E6-411E-9E21-C5F8AEB30786.png Your giving it hell thats for sure , you are coming along but you really need to start looking and learning how to read a study pictures . Look at there eyes and ears , look for fullness and depth . How the hair patterns are and how they lay . Placement of the whiskers and such . Your on your way , I posted a few live reference pics to compare and understand what I’m saying . I’m not busting or trying to discourage you , I’m just trying to help you , and I believe you want the help . Get a big picture of whatever your mounting and have it right beside you and go from there . Get a really good manikin and practice claying your eye detail in get a pair of ear liners and put them in place and clay them in . By doing this you will learn the muscles and were things need to be , the old frase all things great start with a good foundation is very true . If your clay work is good then your mount will be good also

6. Micah Howards

Thank you guys! yeah okay thanks for the tips, yeah I know your trying to help and thanks I asked for it! I do have a pic of the clay work on the eyes before it was mounted. IMG_0427.JPG

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You are definitely advancing in your skills Micah! Keep working at it. Post more as you go along and you will see improvements with each one. Don't ever be satisfied that you have reached the point where you can't improve any more. There is always room for improvement!

Vic

8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I just added this coyote to a project I did for a customer last year. I posed the coyote from measurements I took off of the base of the bear mount in the customer’s home and I mounted the yote in my shop hoping I could make it look right once I delivered and added the yote to the base. I think it turned out ok, under the circumstances.

upload_2020-3-11_13-53-15.jpeg

A closeup of the coyote.
    upload_2020-3-11_14-0-39.jpeg

9. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Lynx 1 WR.jpg

10. pir^2h

Road kill raccoon I picked up Saturday, 7 March 2020. I should have got a photo of what I started with. It was a mess! I just wanted to see what I could do with it. Comments OK! I have thick skin!
    311k.JPG

thylacinelover, Danny H, tem and 2 others like this.
  11. For a road killed that doesn't too bad.

12. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Over all looks okay. Thing the stick out to me which I'm sure you see as well . Lips and front feet are a little over filled IMO . I have seen alot worst.

13. 13 point

By pic looks like the eyes are set to deep and wrong angle IMO . Not bad for a rd Kill tho

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I agree with the feet. not a big fan of the corn

15. pir^2h

The lips were really messed up due to the car vs. raccoon fight. I also agree about the eyes. I might be able to do something about the feet but the eyes, probably not at this point. Thanks for the tips folks. I am only a hobbyist and don't get around to doing too much. So the next guy I do I have some things to be paying closer attention to.

Vic

Jeff70, ARUsher and Fallenscale like this.
  16. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

As soon as the shelter in place is over this one goes out the door!
    2019 Milinski Final pic.jpg

Lance.G, tem, porterfield and 5 others like this.
  17. Tshane

Tshane New Member

E3A5ECF1-2BE4-4957-8CCF-4431A5018FBA.jpeg First cat. Let me know what needs improvement 9AAA95EC-43FC-43CC-9A8D-19AD79A943C0.jpeg

18. pir^2h

This may be my last mammal for a while. I need one-on-one help now. I have several DVD's but I am still having a lot of problems with faces. Just cant seem to get those eyes like they need to be. I do have reference material I got from Phil at Alaska North. My problem with getting help is my schedule as a teacher. I am only available during school breaks. It is still wet enough to do some tweeking. Hit me any comments, good or bad!

He will have a rock base once dried.

Vic
    IMG_6089.JPG

19. 13 point

Need a head on pic of face to help

20. pir^2h

Lets try this again. Only an "X" shows up in a box.
    IMG_6089.JPG

thylacinelover likes this.