1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by killitandfillit, Mar 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Hello out their. I’m looking forward to the Competition coming up in my state this June. As I ponder on this the question come to mind. For a bird entry In particular a duck mount how soon do you all start your work for the show.
    I am going to be doing a few ducks and wanted to get started on them just didn’t know if I should wait to have a fresh mount or is two or three months alright to get started. I am figuring a few weeks to get my Strategy together and many more hours to mount than the common mount normally performed. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to share you Approach it may also help others too. Thanks in advance for you replies.

2. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Hard question.......It all depends on what pose you are going to do and what type of base it will be on. Also what type of habitat will be used if any. I like to plan in my head what I want to mount. Some people mount their birds a month out others longer. Benefits of mounting a bird a month out is there is very little shrinkage in the legs and you have time to baby sit it. The bad thing about doing your bird a long time out is you are always looking at it and seeing things you wish you would have done different, but it also gives you time to fix any areas that you might have overlooked earlier. One of the pieces that I will have at the show coming up at the end of the month I started last April; but it is a complicated piece with a lot of engineering and multiple birds. My other pieces were completed in October and December. They went together great with no major issues to correct. I start my pieces once I have a idea and time permitting due to having a lot of customer birds to do. I try not to do birds in mid-summer due to temperatures are to warm and birds like to dry out a little to fast for me to keep up on grooming before the feathers set. You are able to do them in summer but you have to control the temp by putting birds back in freezer between time you are working on them and adjusting your feather tracks. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your convention.

Bruce M and Micah Howards like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just remember that your mount must be COMPLETELY dry. If a judge finds that the webbing of the wings or the feet are flexible, you could receive a "fatal flaw" and your mount be disqualified.

4. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Thanks for you reply most helpful.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I like to get my competition pcs done and complete a month before, this way I can always look at it with fresh eyes a few different times, I also try to get another taxidermist friend to give it a look or I take close up pics and send to champion taxidermist I know and ask them to critique from pics . That’s always helped me . You never want to be the guy finishing you mount a the show in your hotel room. It happens all the time lol

Mario Pinocci likes this.