1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Coyote

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lil critters, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

First time to post and first coyote mount . Would like some input as to what I can do to improve. 20200302_091501.jpg

Micah Howards likes this.
  2. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

20200302_091701.jpg

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It looks good. What I would do in your case is to backbrush the fur a bit to fluff it up. It looks to combed down a tad too much making the fur seem flat.

Micah Howards likes this.
  4. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

20200302_091622.jpg

5. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks for the input I see what you mean. It does look brushed flat thanks

6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Thing that jumps out at me is as muzzle it should be a little more even tapered to the nose.
    But a great job on first coyote

tem and Micah Howards like this.
  7. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks Fallenscale I should have shaved that nose down a bit I noticed that to thanks for the input

Fallenscale likes this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Your eyes are set to deep , muzzle, as you stated , and except for on an open mouth you should always see hair to hair on lip line except for a little bit of the front bottom lip . Very nice for your first one , your well on your way

George, Micah Howards and Fallenscale like this.
  9. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks for the reply I'm learning so much through this thread and the great people that are honest enough to tell me what I should do different thanks again

10. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

The best way to get the fluffy look is to give him a bath them blow dry it as you brush him out... really make the animal have a full body look. and as the stated the nose tapers a little too much, but looks great for your first yote!! Keep up the good work!

11. Awesome first job mate!

12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

For a first coyote, great job. You will improve even more on your second.

Vic

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  13. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks for the info and encouragement. Not sure how this thread got bumped to the top again.

14. That's a fine job for your first coyote. I've seen numerous coyote mounts from people who have done several and they don't look as nice as yours. Other than the couple of issues mentioned above I don't see anything else wrong with the mount.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Every time someone comments on it the thread gets bumped to the top.

16. First coyote, pretty dang good. Post future mounts on here for us to see. Words of advice, keep this mount. Go back and look at it after you have a couple dozen mounts under your belt. See how much your work has improved over time.

Sam

pir^2h likes this.
  17. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks Sam

18. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Really good start for you first mount. Also add ear placement to your next coyote mount. The best thing to use is always reference photo's. Google coyote face images and use those photo's of live animals to help you recreate a more lifelike mount. You are going in the right direction, just keep trying

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dont think we're being too critical. You show very good discipline. Each one will get better. Several cover the muzzle. The way I corrected that's to wedge the nose completely off the form. Remove all the inner cartilage and patch the snares (nose wings) with clay. Then fill the cutout with clay. Now you can shape the nose under the skin before you tuck the lips.
    Get some good reference to set the eyes. If you have a pet dog, it's the best reference out there. Don't forget to add eyebrows to your form. They're small and thin but give your mount unbelievable attitude.
    Your toes need a bit of work. I notice a "shelf" between the pad and toes. Don't overfill or under fill the toes. I remove the toes from the form and put a roll of clay behind the fill. This allows me to shape each foot as the rod is bolted on to the base. It's easy to push any overfill down under the skin into the pads.
    The tail is twisted and may be over stretched. That's easy to do. The dark streak should be top center and is usually closer to the base of the tail.
    Only a winter prime hide can be made to look soft and fluffy. If that's what you have is to insure you dont overstretch your hide rearward. With a register pin, tack the tail base at the base of the tail. If you use plenty of hide paste on the form back you will be able to gently push the hide around and forward evenly. This will "pack" the hair follicles closer. I use shop air from the rear to fluff the coat up. This can also be done with s hair dryer and brush. Even a prime hide will look slicked back if you stretch it too tightly.

20. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

For the nose I cut out the form and used clay. Like said I didnt use enough to get a smooth transition. Also wonder if I should have shaved the sides of the muzzle on the form to slim the nose out a bit more. I did get it fluffed up by back brushing it. Looks alot more like a winter coyote now.

ARUsher likes this.