1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel Tails??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Katie T, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Katie T

Katie T New Member

Hello, I'm trying to mount a fox squirrel really nice, should I tan the tail or let it air dry? I don't want it to rot, but I also don't know if I can get it all fluffy again after sitting in the tan. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

To get it fluffy again , you remove the tail bone, run a string trough the tail so it soaks up the pickle and or tan.
    Then either make , cast buy a tail for it. Using just a plain wire doesn’t work right.
    Hide paste insert dry and back brush. It’ll be as fluffy as you need.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Blow it dry before mounting always works best for me a wash in dawn soap with wash out what little natural oil/grease that's on the fur. I use a wire on the tail carefully push/work caulk up the tail after wire placed.

pir^2h likes this.
  4. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

I agree, they'll fluff up much more than you'd think once you hit it with a blow drier

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I never tanned a squirrel in my life. I DPd them or did what Henry Wichers Inchemuk did: soak them in denatured alcohol.

REGARDLESS of your hide prep, that tail MUST come out. As Frank stated, a simple wire won't work. John David Ellzey sells some very nice trail forms OR you could try the old way. Take some Critter clay and roll it out on waxed paper to form a replica of the tail bone you just removed. Stick it in the freezer for a day or two. When you're absolutely sure you're ready to mount it, take it the clay out of the freezer and insert it into the tail skin. Once it's in, THEN take your #12 wire and push it in. Pose your tail as you desire. Then take a hair dryer and back brush it gently until all the hairs are erect. Take a can of extra hold hairspray and spray the tail down from a few feet away. Let it dry a bit and then respray it with a second light coat. Let it set for an hour and then spray it with a heavier (not too heavy) coat of spray. The tail will stay that way forever once the skin dries.

PS I also fill the toes with the frozen clay method. That insures the clay is all the way down to the claw.