1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye Rings.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by killitandfillit, Mar 6, 2020.

1. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Hello. I was wanting to ask the question about eye rings for water fowl. I’ve used eye rings for wood ducks and once I used them for a mallard drake. Are eye rings something that this community uses on every fowl or only on certain fowl. If so what’s the best kind to buy or do you make your own. I’ve alway shaped my eye with clay seen to work well. Just was curious what everyone prefers. Also finding a realistic eye ring seems to be challenging I tried to get some wood duck heads from A fellow mentioned on this forum but couldn’t connect. He’s pretty busy So I’m looking if any one knows the best realistic ones I can buy. Thanks for you opinions in advance

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    When I use em, I sculpt them in during finish work buying pre-made kind of sets in stone the eye and lid position. I don't use em on every bird.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I only use them on birds that have the dominate rings i.e. woodducks, white fronted geese etc. I have made my own but usually used the ones supplied by probably the guy you're talking about. He hasn't returned any of my inquiries either

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  4. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Thanks for your response. I talked to the fellow he said he’s very busy which is cool. I had about 8 wood ducks I did and kept seeing people talking about his wood duck heads. He just didn’t have time for new Customers. So I’ll try and stock up on them this summer.
    I will just keep at it until then thanks for the comments

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use the Wayne Cooper Flex eyes with eye rings. My old fingers won't ley me do fine detail like that anymore, so I buy 'em

6. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I do the same only I replace the flex eye with a glass eye in the ring, I am just use to glass. I also use the heads that accept the Wayne Cooper eye rings.

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

You can make eyerings for any bird using epoxy sculpt. They have different colors. Cory Caruthers did an instructional video not long ago on how he does them post mounting. You can do them before or after mounting. I think Corys video is on the Matuska site.

Except for like Barry said, Wood ducks, Speck geese, tree ducks most people don't realize they should even be there. I do them on all my customer ducks, but not wholesale.

Wildthings likes this.
  8. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Hey guys I appreciate all of your responses. I indeed found the video Brooke refers too. Thanks again all of you.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.