1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fighting Buck Options

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Clovis Point, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I want to do a 2 bucks fighting mount for a long time friend who has always helped me out (he and his wife and dad donated 50% of the Guinea pig deer I learned on... let’s just say the first few are best hung in a very poorly lit room) but we have concluded we want to do them in a corner so they can be better orientated more like they are in nature.

Has anyone ever done this ? I assume there aren’t the purpose made forms (if I’m incorrect please correct me)... How would you do it? Modify an existing fighting buck form(s) or modify something like a hooking/extreme sweep/aggressive form? Don’t want to do wall peds...

2. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

0E944DF9-D7F6-4655-84D0-562A6A3BF923.png There are s few different companies that offer them , McKenzie sells them I believe they are the Matt Thompson serious, I didn’t mount this deer but I do have to mount the one that will hang to the left of this one for the guy . But yes , wide open eyes , flared nose , pinned down ears , the lip line we even change if you want to get real into it

4. Clovis Point

5. Clovis Point

I didn’t come this far to miss... all insight into correct anatomy for fighting is humbly appreciated.

I did some looking and I’m seriously thinking about doing the James Supply rubbing buck k200 and the James supply hooking aggressive on the other. Because from what I’ve seen one deer fighting usually one’s head is lower than the other because what they are trying to do is hook under their opponent and flip them upwards. So the rubbing buck which is a left turn Would be kind of hooked under the aggressive in a right turn. I haven’t had a chance to actually physically handle either of the manikins but looking at the pictures I think that when juxtaposed at a 45° angle in a corner it just may work.

6. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Oh yeah I didnt see you wanted them on adjacent walls.

Clovis Point likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Look into Joe Coombs. The specialty whitetails section has several.

8. Clovis Point

This is what I’m going to do. Because in real life when bucks are fighting It seems like one is always trying to get under the other and flip his antlers up out of the way so he can stick his neck or make him flop on his back. So one being slightly lower than the other seems pretty accurate to nature.

I called the good people at James and asked their opinion and if anyone had ever tried it and he said no one had yet thought to try it but that he really liked the idea. Said he was going to pull some and do some looking but off the top of his head he thought it would work and he definitely wanted to see some pics. I need to do my best job on this maybe I’ll get a pic of my mounts in the catalog. That would make me feel mighty official. B661BF28-4B4D-48D7-B943-884E7C8E8521.jpeg 68CACA42-B197-4FF3-A700-CB1767EAF1C6.jpeg B661BF28-4B4D-48D7-B943-884E7C8E8521.jpeg 68CACA42-B197-4FF3-A700-CB1767EAF1C6.jpeg

Micah Howards likes this.
  9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

all the times i seen bucks fighting it seems that both have there heads low so the other cant hook it like you said. you might want to get 2 of the rubbing bucks and may be alter one a little lower or a little higher. i think this would look more natural. j.m.o.

Micah Howards likes this.