1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dish Soap

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sportsman13, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Sportsman13

Sportsman13 New Member

I've been searching high and low for the good stuff...the clear dawn dish soap! The closest I can find is the pure essentials. Is this what everyone is using? I've been using blue dawn, but am nervous for the day I get blue tint. Have a great Sunday!

2. Blue Dawn 3x or 2x is just what you need. Don’t worry about the blue dye. It washes out fine during the rinse. Never leave any soap residue behind because it’s not good for the skin. Nothing to do with the blue dye

3. I get my clear liquid dawn at walmart, if you dont have one local just order it from ther website

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Even after a blue skull, I still use the blue Dawn. With all the skulls I do I have only had it happen once and I still have no explanation as to why. A couple of runs through peroxide lightened it up to the point it wasn't noticeable.

I've also had pastel pink ones once from the pool type peroxide.

5. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I only use the clear. Have been trying palmolive and pure essentials, and they seem to work just as good as dawn. I like the palmolive because you get alot more for the price.

6. Sportsman13

Sportsman13 New Member

Thanks for the input! Have a great day everyone, much appreciated.

7. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I get my clear dawn at Walmart . Why? because I've had a number of them turn blue on me in the past. why take the Chace if you can get the clear I would go with that

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Uh, just for education purposes, Dawn and all the others like products are "detergents". Real soap has a much higher pH. The pH on Dawn is just slightly higher than "neutral" where you'll find water.

cyclone likes this.
  9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

Are you saying real soap will work better? If so, what brand?

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Real soap readily breaks down the fat and grease in a bird but is often a double edged sword. You MUST watch the pH. If the pH is over 10, you become extremely susceptible to "flash burning" white feathers. The result will be YELLOW feathers. Nothing wrong with using Dawn, just know that it's NOT a soap but rather a detergent with chemical properties that break down fats at a much slower rate than a soap would.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

George, I missed something .. or maybe a post got deleted? Was someone asking about bird skins? I thought they were asking for skulls and bone. Your point about soap is noted. Something else I should experiment with.

12. blindluck

blindluck Member

What would one buy if buying real soap?

13. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Semantics folks. Detergents are often refered to, incorrectly, as soaps.

Soaps are made from the reactions of fats with alkaline such as lye, sodium hydroxide...thus the high pH George mentions.

Detergents are most times synthetic, large organic molecules modified as to make them water soluble.

Soaps can indeed react with the fats in your skulls and change the chemical properties of them so they become soluble.

Detergents form "micelles" around fat globs thus solublizing them..

Soaps can also react with fats and form insoluble substances...ever hear of "ring around the tub?"

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    George and Glenn M like this.