1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rubbery Skins

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BCShaver, Mar 9, 2020.

1. BCShaver

BCShaver New Member

Hey folks, I’ve had the odd skin turn rubbery when hydrating after the tan. It’s been on a couple wet tanned deer capes and couple dry tans rugs. I can’t seem to notice any pattern or reason for this. I’m not sure if it’s something I’ve done or something the customers have done. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I think if you could tell how it was tanned in detail and the type of skin/hide you tanned and had trouble with it would sure help the people in the know what may of went wrong.

msestak likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

By chance, was it chrome tanned?

4. BCShaver

BCShaver New Member

No it was with TruBond submersible and a deer did it with EZ 100. Im only going off what customers are telling me once they are mounting the skin. I haven’t noticed anything here at the tannery end. I use critic acid, I maintain 1.5-2 ph, 45% Salt and follow all instructions from suppliers.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If your skins are getting rubbery it’s called acid swell due to improper neutralizing or not setting or buffering the tan.
    You should add salt to your water as this aids in stoping it.
    If your following the ez instructions and I’m not sure if it’s changed but at least can hour before you pull out the tan you should check your pH and I would do this with any soak tan.
    Most likely your tan is still acidic when you pulled it out. I’ll check my pH prior and most of the time it’ll be 3.5 and I’ll have to add sodium bicarbonate to the solution to raise it to 4.5. Once stable at that pH for an hour you can then pull it out drain and rinse.
    Doing this will stop that rubbery feeling and make sure all capes get hydrated with 4 oz of salt per gallon of water.

6. They're either soaking them too long or in too warm of a water. Only other option would be they were held a long time and should have added salt to the soak. A wet tan really shouldn't be an issue since they should wet up with just dampening.