1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning For Rugs

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lil critters, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Does anyone have experience with the tru bond tanning solution? Do hides come out nice and soft with out breaking the hide? And what is best for rugs wet tan or rub on tan ?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Look you have no choice but to work hides to being soft especially bears. Thinned skinned skins are fine with tru-bond but thicker hides like bears etc need work so forget the thoughts on a perfect tan that you may think will come out soft.
    Remember all tans work it’s your choice to read and try tans out as what I like may not be your cup of tea.
    My tan is ez-100 for many reasons and you can find them doing a search here just like tru bond as it’s been written many times to aid folks.
    Your best tans are soak and synthetic tans. Thinned skinned skins can be tanned with tru-bond 1000B and does a fine job.

freeze_1 likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My answer for what is the best tan for rugs is a dry tanned hide from a professional tannery. I have tanned my own rugs and I have used a professional tannery dry tan and hands down I prefer the dry tanned hides.

freeze_1, George and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

AMEN! Tanglewood. IN MY OPINION, anyone attempting to rug tan is simply playing with their butt. Regardless of the tan, if you don't have an 8' drum, then you're going to have to hand break the hide. This ain't my first rodeo but I know from sad experience that you can never CONSISTENTLY break a hide by hand. Rugs especially need to have "brighteners" place into the sawdust during the breaking process for a DRY TANNED HIDE. It makes a world of difference in the finished product, especially with canids and cats. Bears can and often overwhelm people and I have yet to see a home tanned bear that didn't have a distinct musty, wet dog smell that lingered. Flesh them out, salt them down, and send them out. There are several businesses who'll tan your bear and rug it out as well. I'm no hero and to have that done professionally is the only way to go. I have used Rug-B-Bears in the past where great success.

freeze_1 likes this.
  5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Rug-B-Bears is awesome!!! George gave me this advice a few years ago and I’ve never looked back.I tan hides but have yet to get the near results of a professional tannery!

6. Lil critters

Lil critters New Member

Thanks for the info Mike