1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA suspention/expulsion policy

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AndyO, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I know this topic has been brought up but I wanted to start a new threat because the others have swayed off course.

I'm asking any board member to please answer a few questions. No name calling or anything like that, just simple answers to the new policy.

1.) Where can a general member review:
    - NTA Bylaws (I did find this on NTA Website)
    - Code of Ethics
    - Code of Conduct (I did find this on NTA Website)
    - Conflict of Interest Policy
    - Statement of Personal Commitment
    - NTA goals
    - NTA objectives
    - Examples of what are and are not "good causes" to get suspended or explulled

2.) A list of the BOD who voted for the policy.

3.) Is it true NTA does background checks on general membership OR, do you only do background checks on NTA employees?

Please email me if you don't feel confortable posting your reply on taxi.net. Email will be kept confidential.
    Thank you!

EDIT: added my email so "visitors" will know how to contact me [email protected]

2. Judging from the lack of replies, here or via email, it seems I need to send an official request to the NTA for information. Is there a special format I need to use to get a reply? Maybe send certified?

3. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Better watch it AndyO you may get the boot for not giving the person(s) that be the correct amount of time to resond to you questions in the first place. :eek: ::) ;D

4. clewis

clewis New Member

Andy: I am no longer on the NTA Board, but will give you my personal perspective on your questions. As you have noted, the Board members generally do not respond to the Forum.

1. As you note the NTA Bylaws are posted on the NTA web site. However, there were a number of amendments made to the Bylaws at the Louisville Board meeting. I would expect it to take some time to get them out in the most current form.

2. The Board does not have a "Code of Ethics" and does not have an "ethics policy" per se. There is a "Code of Ethics" directed at the membership which is contained in the Outlook Magazine.

3. As you note, the Board "Code of Conduct" is on the NTA web site.

4. You should be able to get a copy of the 'Conflict of Interest Policy" from NTA HQ. It is a multiple page document. If you are not successful, I will email you one.

5. The "Statement of Personal Commitment" was not universally supported although it did pass by a majority vote. You should also be able to get a copy from NTA HQ. If not I will email you one.

6. & 7. The NTA does not have any published goals or objectives as many would interpret those terms Decisions and directions are made at each Board meeting as they are brought up.

8. The NTA does not publish a list of "good causes". There are a number of reasons for this, however, there are some noted in the Bylaws and I would suspect that failing to follow or comply with policy or the specifics of the "Code of conduct" could also be considered "good cause". The challenge will be in adjudicating an accusation.

The list of Board members who voted for each of the motions presented at the meeting are supposed to be noted at the end of each motion in the minutes. Since I understand that the Louisville minutes have not been published, you will have to wait until that time to see who voted for what.

With regard to background checks - there have been a number of statements made regarding this topic. While on the Board I asked this question of the president of the Board, Bill Haynes. he stated that no background checks are made on Board members. At the same time he noted that he receives information regarding the backgrounds of individuals which may contain a history of law violations or other things. Since all court proceedings are public information, any person can look at the public records on any other individual to verify a rumor or find out if a specific person has a criminal record. I know of no background check activities on the membership at large.

Hope this helps with your questions. You may also want to note that Frankie Thompson is the current NTA Information Officer. His contact information is on the NTA web site.

My contact information is on the Forum - please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

5. Thank you Craig. I will use NTA channels to request the documents.

What I find bothersome, right now, is the amount of energy they waste trying to keep the membership in a straight line. We have codes of conduct, codes of ethics, conflict of interst policies, statements of personal interest, etc. Why in the world does this organization not have written goals?! Why should I continue to send my $50 each year (please don't say for the coupons and life insurance)?

I pose this solution: The current BOD, with the help of incoming elected officials, create short and long terms goals. Have a vision where you want our NTA to go. Get the general membership involved.

Example of a short term goal: All fifty state presidents, regardless of affiliation, will be contacted via telephone by a board member to "check in" with the state and see if there are any issues that may need NTA assistance with. The phone call could go something like this:

NTA: Hello Joe Black, this is so and so from the NTA calling to see how you guys are doing.

STAE REP: Hi so and so, we are good thanks for calling. By the way have you heard CWD was found 100 miles south of where it was last year? This may affect our neighboring states to the south. They may want to start educating themselves and planning how they will deal with their DNR and law makers.

NTA: No, didn't know that. Thanks for the info and I'll bring that up with Kentucky.

STATE REP
    : Thanks for caring enough to call... now I have a pile of capes on the floor that aren't going to salt themselves-- click.

Example of long term goal: (ED ten year contract doesn't count ;D) Win the right to import (fill in the blank) to the U.S. OR work with Federal authorities to clarify waterfowl rules and regulations regarding taxidermy (sales, possession, disposal, etc.)

I don't feel confortable being a part of an organization that does not have written goals. I'm not going to quit (right now) or personally assassinate a BOD or general member over the issue. I want to be a part of the solution. If I cannot be a part of the team I will go elsewhere. NOTE: being a part of the team does not include setting up and tearing down at the convention!

6. THE NTA SOUNDS LIKE WHERE I WORK "ALLWAYS POOPING OUT Policy's' i just think they need to drop the browns off at the super bowl . :) MY NTA POLICY

* ALL THAT MATTERS IS BEING ARTISTIC AND FREINDLY AND BE A PRO
    * WORK HARD AND DON'T GIVE UP !

* WATCH FOOTBALL AND HUNTING SHOWS ALL DAY
    * GRILL DEER STEAK WILE WATCHING FOOTBALL
    * DON'T GLUE YOUR FINGER TO THE TABLE WILE WORKING ON A HABITAT BASE
    * DON'T SET YOUR DEER EYE'S CROSS EYED WILE IN THE MOUNTING PROCESS
    * AND LAST, NO BONUS BREAKS WILE ON THE JOB OR YOU GET A WRITE UP FROM THE BOSS.