1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crustacean Smell Still Prominent!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wd1990, Mar 13, 2020.

1. wd1990

wd1990 New Member

Dear all,

I'm a UK based amateur taxidermist and work solely with crustaceans. I'm aware this forum subcategory is fish, however I'm seeking advice on the smell and feel this is the most suitable place tom post.

** Photos in my album or below **

I'm trying to remove ALL of the smell, from a beginner perspective I'm not even sure if this is possible, hence my post.

PLEASE NOTE *
    Its essential that I keep as much of the natural colours as possible as they're for art purposes. I've used formaldehyde in the past and the colours have faded.

At current may process for preservation looks like this:

- Separate the parts of the lobster / crab.
    - Meticulously remove ALL soft tissue (cartilage / flesh) and anything that isn't hard to the touch.
    - Clean / scrub in soapy water twice over
    - Leave to dry
    - Lacquer x 2
    - Mount

The smell isn't overpowering when left in the open air, however each piece has a case and each time I take the case apart (for transportation purposes) there is a fishy smell.

I was hoping that after the clean in soapy and lacquer x 2 the smell would but no, it can still be smelt slightly. My market for sale is restaurants and home owners and feel the smell could be a huge deterrent.

please lets me know if there are any techniques or methods which may help eradicate the smell altogether.

Much appreciated,
    Will

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. wd1990

wd1990 New Member

hommarus.jpg

Rizzo, JL, Sea Wolf and 1 other person like this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I like that presentation
    I may try one of those
    I would use phenol and borax in water
    Phenol in almost impossible to get here without a license
    May try denatured alcohol and water

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I like that presentation as well. You can try a soak of the parts for a time in alcohol as above. I have several sections of crab and lobster parts that I have cleaned. They do smell slightly fishy for a while but the odor fades with time. I don't think potential clients will notice a mild odor in a sealed case. Consider making a backing panel out of red cedar. The odor of the cedar wood would cover any fishiness.

JL likes this.
  5. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

We have a product called preserve it from taxidermy suppliers that can be injected into meaty areas that stops it from decomposing. I had a 12” rattlesnake that I injected with it. As it shrunk I would inject more. No smell at anytime during the drying period. I was amazed how it came out.

6. wd1990

wd1990 New Member

Thanks for all of the advice and info guys! I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,Will

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Is that copper wire you used?

8. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Very cool