1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Manikins

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pir^2h, Mar 13, 2020.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have a couple turkey skins I purchased from a seller on here. How do you determine the size manikin you will need? I have no idea how much the turkey weighed. All I see in the catalogs is by small, medium, large and various weights.

Vic

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I bought small and medium and fit the skin to it. If you pull the skin over the form and put everything in it's place, you should be able to put your hand between the skin and the form at the breast and be able to make a fist.

george p likes this.

3. killitandfillit

killitandfillit New Member

Yeah what tanglewood !!!!

just Curious curiousdid you happen to buy the turkey that was listed recently theater did they were salted. I seen that ad and wondered how that turned out. I was interested in those turkey but was turned off by the salted part. I guess I’ve never needed to salt a turkey...... in fact I don’t believe I even heard of that. Any one else have a thought on that. If indeed you did get those birds did you soak the for rehydration and did it work out ok ?

4. killitandfillit

Sorry phone messed up my text lol.

5. pir^2h

The ones I got were listed way back in the summer. The seller held them in his freezer until around November when the weather got cold enough to send them to me. They were salted but the seller assured me that turkeys soak up well. If not, I purchased a relaxer (listed as an ultra soft relaxer) from Matuska (on a UPS truck somewhere as I write) that is supposed to rehydrate birds (and other) skins. I will post after I try it and let you all know how that worked for me.

Vic

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  6. killitandfillit

Please
    due I’d like to know how they turn out. I am just not familiar with salting them but not saying it won’t work. Actually I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. It’s just not what I am A custom too. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks. Tim

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I found that bird weight and/or carcass measurements meant very little as to what size mannikin I used. The fleshed and washed skin dried to damp, is what I used to determine the proper size and that rarely conformed to carcass measurements and never corresponded with the weight of the bird. I found just having small and medium mannikins available to test fit was best.

I bought a small and a medium mannikin and test fit the skins on those and then ordered the correct size so that I always had a small and medium sitting on the shelf to test fit.

8. pir^2h

Thanks Tanglewood. I wish I had posted this before I placed my order with Matuska! I would have just added it to the order and had it available when I start on one of these guys.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Are you going to use the one by Cory or the other ones they offer?

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

My guess is that 75% of all Eastern Turkeys are medium. You can use the small mannikin on a medium bird by infusing silicone after it's mounted. I have used up to 6 tubes on some birds. Another option for the small mannikin would be to alter it larger while you have a medium on hand to model after.

magicmick and George like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

All the 20# Rios here in Western Oregon seem to barely fit a medium from most mannikins I have used. My 21# Rio would not stretch enough to even put on a small Bad Boy mannikin and fit so snuggly on an extra small Bad Boy mannikin I could not use it without sever altering. It fit great on a medium Flynn form from Joe Coombs.

George likes this.
  12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are correct! Those Boondocks mannikins are huge. I don't use them.

pir^2h likes this.
  13. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I would like to see what wild turkey would actually fit a large boondocks body. Only ones I've been able to use are small and extra small.

14. pir^2h

Thanks for that insight Joey.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  15. pir^2h

I haven't really decided yet. Everyone has an opinion but do you feel this is the best for easterns? What about heads? I have a total of three birds. I was going to do the first just as standing/walking.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

For my first and for a standing, I think I would go with an Anthony Eddey standing form with the neck and drumsticks. The ones in McKenzie catalog by Cary C., as I don't know how to spell his last name, is what I used on my first. They have the drumsticks moulded in. It was a pain to use and no way to adjust the pose. Corey's strut from Matuska looks really good although I have never used them.

After using a Shane Smith body from McKenzie, personally it would always be my pick, however, there is a learning curve to them and probably not as beginner friendly as the Anthony Eddey one from the Anthony Eddey website or I think the Eddey ones are also available through Matuska. It wouldn't hurt to look at Noonies forms. I have never used them, but they have, in the past, been suggested by George Roof.

I have used several artificial heads from various suppliers and my choice would be Anthony Eddey. I have always painted my own, but, I have seen them prepainted and they look nice. I have used freeze dried heads from Boondocks, Hazel Creek, Anthony Eddie and Aaron Stehling. Customer service wise, Hazel Creek came out in the number one position. Followed by Aaron Stehling then Anthony Eddey and lastly Boondocks.
    Quality wise, Hazel Creek is on top. Boondocks and Stehling tied for second and lastly Anthony Eddey. All were good quality, just some a little better than the others.

pir^2h likes this.
  17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Oh, I should have stated that all of my experience is on local rios.

18. pir^2h

As long as we are on the subject of turkeys, what is everyones opinion on the Fortune Tail sets they sell?

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I made one out of styrofoam that works great and cost me almost nothing. I did a little research on them and they had to be modified so the feathers would not continue sliding out and off the devise. I remember that once the modification was done they worked well.

20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

In his Taxidermy Training Unlimited DVD, Andy Campbell, who makes Fortune Turkey Tails, demonstrates how he uses them.