1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating Hides: What's The Recipe For Brine?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jaegerbones, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

So I have a bunch of trapper dried hides I did, mostly raccoon but also one opossum, a skunk, 3 rats and a coyote. I plan on tanning them up but I was told its best to rehydrate them before putting them in the pickle. I was told to use a brine or saltwater solution but I'm unsure of what ratio. I was gonna get some of the Rittels relaxer but I was told it would not be necessary. If need be I can buy some in the future but what would be the recommended mix for now to rehydrate them. I am not worried about grease burns as they were not dried for long and I fleshed them myself. I'm using the Rittels EZ-100 set to make them as wallhangers

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I personally add 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. I also add add a degreaser most often dawn soap. I'm sure others will share what works for them.

3. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

I do have lots of the super solvent leftover since I'm only doing small tubs of the solution if that works a little better. I do luckily have tons of salt though after getting a 50lb bag at tractor supply

4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Super solvent works very well. The raccoons are greasy dont be scared to wash them well I even scrub the hide side with a brush. Remember the salt kills and keep bacteria from growing but also salt can cause the hides not to rehydrate to there fullest.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My rehydration brine is very complicated. First I add water. Then there is water and some more water. A cap full of bactericide and a few ounces of Kemal-4 for good measure. Oh, and don't forget the water.

This is for salt dried hides, so, the hide has plenty of salt on it. I have no experience on air dried skins, so salt might need to be added. Just remember, as Fallenscale said, too much salt in the brine will impede rehydration.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea 1lb salt per 1 gal of water is the safe norm , if you get a salinity meter and gauge it out at 50 its more accurate and a little less salt , as stated , salt is a dehydrator so to much salt will slow the rehydration some .