1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Schedules

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by BlackBeard29, Mar 16, 2020.

1. BlackBeard29

BlackBeard29 New Member

PA
    Hello everyone,

I recently completed taxidermy school and am looking to practice more. I purchased the breakthrough and real fish paint schedule books. However they all reference polytranspar paints. What little I've airbrushed I've become accustomed to wildlife colors.
    I was wondering if there is a way to cross reference these colors by a chart or something? I've looked around a little and haven't been able to find much.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

chickenrunn likes this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I think the best advice would be trial and testing is a good teacher
    I have all brands of paint
    I use the ones to my preference and what duplicates my reference

BlackBeard29 and George like this.

3. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

the wildlife colars are water base paint look on the Mackenzie taxidermy website they carry both mayby they might be able to help. im new to this and have the same book as you and I just bought the poltranspar paint I think the colars are for fish painting . they got a good variety of paint hope this helps you

BlackBeard29 likes this.
  4. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I think it's been said on here before, but color matching to named colors from a manufacturer will not help you to grow as a taxidermist. Instead, look to match the colors you see on your reference. Learn to mix colors, either in a bottle, or by overlaying transparent colors. A color wheel will be most helpful in this.

Colors like "bass green" and "belly white" are just blends. Adding a smitch of red to a bright green is what gives it the 'mossy' look. Red and green make brown, and bass green is a brownish green. A touch of black can darken it. A touch of raw umber to pure white gives the belly color.

Art classes can help. Just remember that a good palette of colors includes both a "warm" and "cool" version of each color. For instance lemon yellow and yellow ochre, broght red and magenta. Using a color wheel you can see the opposite of each color and how to tone it to your liking. Test it out on a different surface and see if you like it. It's just paint, you can always wipe it down and start over.

If pre-mixed colors are all you want to do, then just go for a similar color, regardless of the name.

Good luck and have fun!:)

Lance.G, BlackBeard29, 3bears and 2 others like this.