1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yak Hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by allison gelfand, Mar 17, 2020.

1. allison gelfand

allison gelfand New Member

Hello
    i have yaks and want to tan the hides. tanning i can do with brain, or neetsfoot. i could get a chemical if that would help, but prefer to keep them as animal safe as possible. working them is the issue. they are long hair hides and they are about 6-8ft across each way.
    i can't pull it over a pole like a small thin dear hide. these are thick and hairy and heavy and will be beautiful if i can get this figured out.
    thank you in advance for help

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    May be best to send out to a tannery

3. allison gelfand

i'm getting quotes from tanneries and they are 1300-1700 so i'm really thinking there has to be a better way
    and many are requiring me to have a taxidermy license. i'm just the farmer that doesn't want to waste any part of the animal. i tanned a cow hide (not so soft) but that was short hair and surprisingly not as thick.

4. Fallenscale

NY
    At Moyle mink and tannery they list $465
    If this is a hide that is special to you I think would be the best way for you.

If I was going to tan it my self I would use EZtan100 from taxidermyarts.com

5. allison gelfand

what size tumbler for a 8x8 or 10 ft hide? most cows are 6 but i don't want to make one too small that i can't do the bulls

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Remember that the tannery is also going to shave it down thinner. More work than just running it through a tan. You might want to research tanning bison hides. Lots out information out there including brain tan and smoking and they are not small. Much like what you have. Moyle does good with bison hides. I'm having issues with their site right now but it is probably my browser (Firefox).

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Tanneries are the best way, not the cheapest for sure. If I remember correctly, I had a yak cape tanned and it was the same as a buffalo/bison.

8. allison gelfand

but what size tumbler would i need for the 8x8 hide?

9. Fallenscale

NY
    12 foot

10. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

5x7.5 is The size of my commercial for drum I have use this drum since 1971 and the guenther brothers tannery used it all the way back to the 40s it has 3 inch round oak pegs in it instead of shelf
    I have run approximately 300,000 hair on skins through this drum including many Bison muskox and a few yak and almost all of the African except full body elephant
    This is a 4 hp three-phase Gear Head drive motor which would cost about $3500
    It runs 22 RPM with 150 to 300 pound of number 4 Cobb grit
    Run time varies from 20 minutes to several hours depending on the condition and type of hair
    If I were building a new one I would probably make it 8’ x 5’ wide everything else will remain the same