1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Scales

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishtech2029, Mar 19, 2020.

1. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 New Member

just wondering if theres a way to replace scales on a fish that had fallen out when you skin it. I know the magic sculp works ive done it im new to this so im looking for ways to improve myself any help would be great thanks.

2. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Stick the fallen scale back in place with a little CA glue?
    Save the loose scales until drying process is done (trim if need be)...CA back in place, rather than having to sculpt em?

(just thoughts...I have zero experience with this)

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I have LOTS of experience with saving scales and sticking them back in with super glue. It works great. I just skinned a big crappie and saved the scales the came out in a baby food jar of water/borax. When I mount that crappie, I'll have all of the scales I need to stick them back in. (If I run out of scales,I can pick out the corresponding ones from the wall side of the mount.) Good luck.

4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I save skins off the larger crappie we catch when we fillet them. Tan then in my solution and let them dry. Pull off scales as needed to replace lost ones on dry mounts before painting.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes that works on larger scaled fish but try that on trout or salmon lol
    Personally in the way I work I can care less on any amount of scale loss. I’ll be painting them in later on and it’ll give the illusion of scales which is our job.
    So pick your method and work with it and do what works best for you.
    It’s like doing deer I take out nicatitating membrane and I’ll put them in after I mount a deer.

6. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Would lot rather have a better way of moldeling them in instead of replacing. Can''t ever make them look totally natural. My most problematic area is on the side of the breast. I loose 5 or 6 scales here sometimes. I know my fleshing does it.

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I have a 14 year old boy I’m teaching in my shop,
    He can skin a crappie and not loose scales,
    But by golly when he mounts them he’s knocked them out by the dozens
    But when they dry I make him draw them back on by hand.
    Looks good but he is tired of drawing scales,(I make him do it over and over until they are natural looking)
    And he’s learning to “not treat the skin like a wash cloth”

8. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 New Member

9. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 New Member

thanks for the info going to see what works best for me